UW-MADISON WIND ENSEMBLE PERFORMS OUTREACH CONCERT IN BROOKFIELD
The UW-Madison Wind Ensemble will perform under the direction of Scott Teeple on Wednesday, April 28 at 7:00 p.m. at the Wilson Center in Brookfield. Admission is free, but those wishing to attend are urged to call the center’s box office in advance for tickets at (262) 781-9520. The concert will last about one hour without intermission.
The 60 members of the Wind Ensemble are primarily music majors at the School of Music, from freshmen to doctoral students. They claim a variety of career goals, from teaching music in public schools through free-lance performing and teaching at the college level. A number are from the greater Milwaukee area, including those from Milwaukee, Wauwatosa, Waukesha, Cudahy, Shorewood, Oconomowoc, Delafield, Delavan, Port Washington and Kenosha.
The program includes four works: “An Outdoor Overture” by Aaron Copland, conducted by Erik Jester, graduate assistant conductor; “Elsa’s Procession to the Cathedral” from “Lohengrin” by Richard Wagner, transcribed by Lucien Cailliet and conducted by Paul Bhasin, graduate assistant conductor; “Fantasy for Trombone” by Paul Creston, transcribed by J. Brubaker, featuring Mark Hetzler, associate professor of trombone at the School of Music, as soloist; and the Wisconsin premiere of “First Symphony for Band” by William Bolcom, a work that was commissioned by the UW-Madison Wind Ensemble through the Big Ten Band Directors Association.
The concert is generously sponsored by JoAnne and Donald Krause of Brookfield as the fourth annual outreach to Milwaukee-area families, presenting high-achieving students and faculty of the UW-Madison School of Music. A reception for performers and audience will follow the concert. The Sharon Lynne Wilson Center is located at 19805 W. Capitol Drive in Brookfield. For more information about the School of Music, visit music.wisc.edu or call (608) 263-1900.
Photo attached: Mark Hetzler, by Katrin Talbot
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local Converters and Packaging Suppliers Invited to Attend the Label & Package Printing Industry Day, June 25, in Milwaukee
- 1212 Bodyworks Grand Opening
- Four New Summer Music Classes Offered at White House of Music, Waukesha
- Guitar Workshop Series Offered at White House of Music, Wauwatosa
- Movin’ & Lubin’ to Unveil Winning Company Slogan, Celebrate Opening May 28
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Newcastle Place staff completes training for Heartfelt Connections Memory Care Program
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on May 27
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest