Keep old holiday lights out of the landfill.
Scrap metal drive November 7th will help community dispose of metal items properly
Milwaukee, WI – Load up your vehicle with broken and unwanted metal items on Saturday, November 7th and bring them to the parking lot of Unitarian Universalist Church West (UUCW) for recycling from 8:00am – 12noon at 13001 West North Avenue in Brookfield, WI.
UUCW has teamed up with Action Recyclers of Milwaukee for a one-day-only Scrap Metal Fund Drive to help keep scrap metal out of landfills and to help raise awareness about the value of recycling. Often overlooked, holiday lights are recyclable as scrap metal. With the recent push to switch to LED lights for their energy efficiency, consumers with older holiday lights can recycle them. Other household items commonly recycled as scrap metal include computers, metal chairs, pans, cords, grills and some appliances.
An extensive list of acceptable items for the scrap metal drive includes items made of metals such as aluminum, copper, cast iron, sheet iron, unprepared iron, stainless steel and brass as well as computers & laptops, monitors, car batteries and more. The full list can be found on the Action Recyclers website at www.actionrecylers.net . Prohibited items include light bulbs, alkaline batteries, compressed gas containers and items containing PCBs or asbestos.
In the United States, the amount of steel that is discarded and not recycled every year is enough to build all the new American-made cars, according to Action Recyclers website, and Americans represent only 5% of the world's population, but generate 30% of the world's garbage.
Recyclable metal items can be transported to the church and trained volunteers will be there to load them into a truck for later delivery to Action Recyclers of Milwaukee. Proceeds from the drive will benefit UUCW programs.
For a complete list of accepted and prohibited items, visit www.actionrececylers.net.
For more information on the Scrap Metal Fund Drive, contact UUCW at 262 782-3535.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trinity UCC Hosting Craft Fair: "A Fair for all Seasons"
- Join UW-Waukesha Continuing Education for Haunted Halloween Chicago Trip
- Weekly United Way Press Release - Volunteer Opportunities
- Autumn Harvest Bowl Disc Golf Event for the Food Pantry of Waukesha County
- Brew City Pet Services Attends International Pet-Sitter Conference
- IndependenceFirst presents ‘Threads of the World’
- RED HOT MAMA! A Tribute to Sophie Tucker (featuring Becky Spice)
- BSI is Best In Show at STRUT
- Trendevous Fall Fashion Show and Beauty Event at Boston Store Brookfield Square
- American Diabetes Association's Milwaukee's Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes