Diane's Dictionaries - Elmbrook Rotarian to Make Special Literacy Presentation in Memory of His Wife
Capitol West Academy (CWA), a public charter school located in Milwaukee, has been selected as the first recipient “Diane’s Dictionaries.”
The ceremony will take place at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 20, 2009, at the Franciscan Center, Capitol West Academy, 3939 N. 88th Street in Milwaukee.
Elmbrook Rotarian Barry James, along with his daughters April and Holly, will make the presentation in memory of his wife, Diane. Diane was an avid reader and quilter and passed away unexpectedly this summer.
The James family has established “Diane’s Dictionaries” in her memory. This legacy program will provide Milwaukee students with dictionaries to improve their vocabulary development and literacy skills.
At the ceremony, CWA first through fourth grade students will receive a dictionary to use as a resource at home to complete homework assignments and learn new vocabulary words. In subsequent years, all first grade students will receive a Pictionary and fourth graders a traditional dictionary.
Donations to “Diane’s Dictionaries” can be made to the Elmbrook Rotary Foundation Literacy Program, Elmbrook Rotary Club, P.O. Box 1014 Brookfield, WI 53008-1014.
About Capitol West Academy
Capitol West Academy is a public charter school with 212 students in grades K4 through 8, and is chartered through the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The Academy is a strength-based collaborative learning environment that attends to all differences in learning. Approximately 80 percent of the students qualify for the DPI free/reduced lunch program. CWA celebrates the 100 percent annual attendance at parent/teacher conferences and the highest parent satisfaction rating among all of the UWM Independent Charter Schools. The school is open to all City of Milwaukee children, and is located at 3939 North 88th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53222. For more information visit www.cwacademy.org or phone (414) 465-1302.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce partners with Waukesha County Technical College for Human Resources for the Small Business roundtable
- Bryan Riesch Paralysis Team Challenge Event Friday, February 27th at Brookfield Elite Sports Club
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Wine & Beer Tasting Event March 21, 2015 @ 6:00pm
- Girl Scout Cookie Drive Thru
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Women Matter News Report - Chiropractic and Infertility