Diane's Dictionaries - Elmbrook Rotarian to Make Special Literacy Presentation in Memory of His Wife
Capitol West Academy (CWA), a public charter school located in Milwaukee, has been selected as the first recipient “Diane’s Dictionaries.”
The ceremony will take place at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 20, 2009, at the Franciscan Center, Capitol West Academy, 3939 N. 88th Street in Milwaukee.
Elmbrook Rotarian Barry James, along with his daughters April and Holly, will make the presentation in memory of his wife, Diane. Diane was an avid reader and quilter and passed away unexpectedly this summer.
The James family has established “Diane’s Dictionaries” in her memory. This legacy program will provide Milwaukee students with dictionaries to improve their vocabulary development and literacy skills.
At the ceremony, CWA first through fourth grade students will receive a dictionary to use as a resource at home to complete homework assignments and learn new vocabulary words. In subsequent years, all first grade students will receive a Pictionary and fourth graders a traditional dictionary.
Donations to “Diane’s Dictionaries” can be made to the Elmbrook Rotary Foundation Literacy Program, Elmbrook Rotary Club, P.O. Box 1014 Brookfield, WI 53008-1014.
About Capitol West Academy
Capitol West Academy is a public charter school with 212 students in grades K4 through 8, and is chartered through the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The Academy is a strength-based collaborative learning environment that attends to all differences in learning. Approximately 80 percent of the students qualify for the DPI free/reduced lunch program. CWA celebrates the 100 percent annual attendance at parent/teacher conferences and the highest parent satisfaction rating among all of the UWM Independent Charter Schools. The school is open to all City of Milwaukee children, and is located at 3939 North 88th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53222. For more information visit www.cwacademy.org or phone (414) 465-1302.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Congregational Church Offers Seminar on How to Help the Grieving
- Peter Mayer Concert in November
- Film Screening: Merchants of Doubt
- Monster Run Movie and Pumpkin Lighting
- LifeTime OB-GYN Joins Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Health Network
- Lutheran Home Foundation Appoints Brookfield Resident to Board
- Save the Date for the New Berlin West Pom & Dance Clinic on Nov. 21, 2015
- Help "Build" Holiday Cheer
- R.A. Smith National Given Green Light from FAA on Commercial Use of Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS)
- Local Contractor on Mission to Educate First Time Homeowners