The Milwaukee Kickers Soccer Club U20 Men’s team headed to Manalapan, New Jersey July 17-19 to compete in the U20 National Cup Tournament. This was only the second time in Milwaukee Kickers history, a team at any level, advanced to the National Final Four and the first team to claim a National Championship title in 40 years.
Under the direction of Head Coach, John Sweeney and Assistant Coach, Danny Sweeney, the U20 Men’s team played three games leading up to the Semi-Final game where they defeated F.C. Maryland 1-0, then advanced to the Finals to face the Greek American Kosmos.
“The competition here this weekend was great,” said Head Coach John Sweeney. “I am extremely proud of the way our guys played. It’s an honor to be part of the first Milwaukee Kickers team to win a national championship in its 40 year existence.”
The team got off to a slow start in game one, but turned things around in the games that followed to shut out their opponents 14-0.
Game #1: vs. U.S. Parma; 0-0
Game #2: vs. Phoenix S.C.; 7-0
Game #3: vs. LaGrange Red Devils: 5-0
Semi-Final Game: F.C. Maryland; 1-0
Championship Game: vs. Greek American Kosmos; 1-0
Brookfield native, Chris Madsen scored the game-winning goals in both the semi-final game against F.C. Maryland and the Championship game against the Greek American Kosmos.
The Milwaukee Kickers U20 men's team roster included: 1. Alfano, Michael - Marquette Univ. (Sussex) 2. Bauer, Danny - Marquette Univ. (Cedar Rapids, IA) 3. Berg, Ben - Univ. of Penn. (Whitefish Bay) 4. Brown, Kevin - Valparaiso Univ. (Racine) 5. Flood, Steve - UW Lacrosse (Waukesha) 6. Gilbertson, Patrick -UW Milwaukee (Wauwatosa) 7. Gottschlich, Brian - UW Platteville (Germantown) 8. Handzlik, Michael - UW Milwaukee (Wauwatosa) 9. Hess, Adam - UW Milwaukee (Milwaukee) 10. Jensen, Taylor - UW Milwaukee (Milwaukee) 11. Laatsch, Chris - UW Madison (West Bend) 12. Madsen, Chris - Marquette Univ. (Brookfield) 13. Rowell, Richard - UW Platteville (Madison) 14. Sanger, Peter - UW Milwaukee (Wauwatosa) 15. Schoen, Randy - Washington Univ. (MO)(Wauwatosa) 16. Shumaker, Patrick - UW Madison (Whitefish Bay) 17. Sweeney, Tom - Marquette Univ. (Wauwatosa) 18. West, Lee - Marquette Univ. (Waukesha)
Head Coach: John Sweeney (Wauwatosa)
Assistant Coach: Danny Sweeney (Wauwatosa)
A number of the players on this team participated in the Milwaukee Kickers Soccer Club program as youth players. Some of them have even been playing together since eighth grade.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces 2013 “Best of Tour” Award Winner
- Express Employment Professionals Awarded “Best of Staffing”
- First annual Village Extreme to be held June 22, 2013 in Brookfield Village
- Safe Sitter Babysitting Classes Offered at Wheaton Franciscan - Elmbrook Memorial
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk With A Wheaton Doc" - Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Free music event at Luther Manor
- Butler's Picnic in the Park to Feature Vintage Baseball, Oscar Mayer Wienermobile
- Student’s award brings resources to high school
- Hamilton cheerleaders sponsor clinic
- Taylor J. Poehls, DC, CKTP, joins Foundation for Wellness Professionals to educate community in health and wellness