The Department of Health Services (DHS) is making changes that will adversely affect your most vulnerable citizens. Their phasing out funding for prevocational services and day services at Curative Care Network, Eisenhower Center, Inc., Goodwill Industries of SE WI, Inc., and Milwaukee Center for Independence is tantamount to kicking the disabled fledglings out of the nest to fend for themselves. When they hit the ground they will be easy prey for the foxes and weasels of the world, because most of these people are innocents who are easily influenced.
The DHS ignores the fact that other states who did this saw prison populations increase. Ignores the fact that the jobs these challenged individuals do will be sent overseas and their coaches will be out of work and that their co-workers who are extended family will be scattered. Ignores the fact that they actually love their jobs and feel a sense of accomplishment, pride and self-worth. Ignores the fact that this is the first job many of these Wisconsin citizens have been able to hold. Oh, and totally ignores the fact that they have no plan for going forward. The actions of the DHS are based on assumptions such as employers providing “natural support” (mentors) out of the goodness of their hearts, and that working 2 hours a week constitutes a “job,” and that parents will not have to leave the workforce to care for these individuals, and that transportation for them will magically be provided. The DHS is playing checkers with the lives of defenseless people.
I urge you to flood the office of the Governor with letters of support for funding for Curative Care Network, Eisenhower Center, Inc., Goodwill Industries of SE WI, Inc., and Milwaukee Center for Independence. Governor Scott Walker, 115 East, State Capitol, Madison, WI 53702 Subject: DHS 1915(c) Waiver Application The deadline for public input is Tuesday, September 2.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Concordia University to host community thought leaders series
- Callen Earns Esteemed 2015 Angie’s List Super Service Award
- CigarMKE - Know Your Leaf
- R.A. Smith National’s Mike Bach Promoted to Project Manager
- Break Out of the Winter Blues – and Heat Things Up – at Valentine’s Day!
- College Works Painting Internship
- American Lung Association’s State of Tobacco Control 2016 Gives Wisconsin Mixed Grades for Efforts to Save Lives by Reducing Tobacco Use
- Callen Receives 2015 Pulse of the City Customer Service Award
- You're Invited to a Lenten Concert & Fish Fry
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents Bluemound Road Building Boom – From Barker to Moorland