National Football League Players’ Association Executive Director DeMaurice Fitzgerald Smith
to Deliver Keynote Address at Wisconsin Association of African-American Lawyers
24th Annual “VelanDale” Phillips Scholarship Banquet
Milwaukee, Wis. – On Thursday, June 19, 2014, the Wisconsin Association of African American Lawyers (“WAAL”) will host its 24th Annual “VelanDale” Phillips Scholarship Banquet at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This year’s keynote speaker is DeMaurice Fitzgerald Smith, Executive Director of the National Football League Players’ Association, and former Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia and Counsel to then Deputy Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr.
WAAL’s Educational Foundation provides financial assistance to African-American students attending Wisconsin law schools. For over twenty years, this scholarship fund, founded by Vel Phillips, the first African American judge in Wisconsin, and her husband Dale Phillips, has served to increase opportunities for African-American law students and increase diversity in the State Bar.
This year, WAAL will continue a service project started at last year’s scholarship banquet. WAAL will collect books for students at the Juvenile Detention Center to build on the relationship it has already established with staff there who share WAAL’s interest in investing in the education of children with the greatest need. Each banquet attendee donating a paperback book will receive a ticket for a free beverage during cocktail hour.
WAAL is seeking support for the Scholarship Banquet. Individual tickets are $65.00 for WAAL Members, and $75.00 for Non-WAAL Members. Please contact WAAL regarding Diversity, Corporate and Table Sponsorship Levels. By contributing to the 2014 "VelanDale" Scholarship Award, you will demonstrate a commitment to diversity in Wisconsin’s legal community. Further, the Scholarship Dinner is always well attended by attorneys and professionals from all over Wisconsin and Illinois, and is one of the premier networking events of the year.
Tables and individual tickets for the event are available for purchase at www.waalbanquet.eventbrite.com.
- Liturgical Musicians Honor Sister Mary Jane Wagner
- The fine line between enabling or disabling Waukesha inmates.
- Pulse of the City Presents Callen With 2016 Customer Satisfaction Award
- Alfons Gallery Brings Milwaukee’s Urban Wilderness into Focus
- Tribute Tuesday Concert Series Announced
- MFHS Art at State Fair This Summer!
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: May schedule
- BSI Launches AV Division
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) to host “New Approaches to Sustainable Health Care Costs” at monthly breakfast meeting
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin, MCW and UWM to host Milwaukee Quick Pitch event