Candice Block a senior from Mount Mary University (2010 graduate from Hamilton High, Sussex) was chosen along with another 196 Nation-wide students to represent the Campus Compact Honors Community-Engaged College Students Award. Candice Block has focused her skills and knowledge to work with Pathfinders Youth Shelter since August 2012. Over the past two years she has provided over 900 hours of service with this shelter for homeless youth. Candice has combined her passion for art with her passion for helping homeless teenagers. As one of her peers said, “She has infused her life with her service.” Candice has helped the teens work on large mural projects, as well as smaller art activities that have helped them relax and process some of the difficult circumstances they encounter. One issue that Candice has focused on is how children in foster care “age out.” Once they turn 18 they no longer have any support available to them. Candice has advocated for more states to follow the lead of Washington State, which allows foster care until the age of 21. She has explored how the addition of three years can provide a much stronger foundation for these youth. Candice truly embodies the mission of Mount Mary University – she has the leadership, integrity and the deep sense of social justice we wish to instill in all of our students.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Patrick’s Day Concert with David HB Drake
- Gehl Foods, Inc. Awarded the 2014 Quality and Service Award from Dot Foods
- Comedy for a Cause Benefits Fight Against Ovarian Cancer
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce partners with Waukesha County Technical College for Human Resources for the Small Business roundtable
- Bryan Riesch Paralysis Team Challenge Event Friday, February 27th at Brookfield Elite Sports Club
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Wine & Beer Tasting Event March 21, 2015 @ 6:00pm