Ashley Doherty will represent the class of 2015 as the Distinguished Young Woman of Menomonee Falls. She was awarded the title at the 50th Annual program held on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at Menomonee Falls High School. Distinguished Young Women is the scholarship program formerly known as Junior Miss. The program has been organized and sponsored by the Optimist Club of Menomonee Falls since 1986.
Ashley, the daughter of Bryan and Linda Doherty, is a junior at Menomonee Falls High School. She performed a ballet dance to Don Quixote: Bridesmaid Variation for her talent. Ashley was awarded a $2000 scholarship from the Optimist Club. She also won the Be Your Best Self Essay award. She will advance to the Distinguished Young Women of WI program in August.
Taylor Vraney was named the 1st Alternate and awarded a $750 scholarship from the Optimist Club and $350 from Community League of Menomonee Falls. She also won the preliminary Interview award. Carley Kolsch was named 2nd Alternate and awarded a $250 scholarship from the Optimist Club. The following preliminary awards were: Ellie Jordan – Talent; Kristen Niles - Scholastic; Abby McIntyre - Self-Expression and Amanda Richter - Fitness. Maryellen Pawley was voted the Spirit Award winner by her fellow contestants.
Also participating in the program was Paige Adams, Brigid Doyle, Rachel Haynes, Rachel Hoyer, Alexus Johnson, Sydney Kolbeck, Taylor Knaebe, Juliette Schefelker and Viktoria Schumacher.
Distinguished Young Women national rules limit participants in a local program to those who live in the community. Because of open enrollment there are girls who attend Menomonee Falls High School but live outside the village. Those girls were invited to participate as “At-Large” contestants. The At-Large participants who met a minimum score advance to the state program and will represent the municipality they live in. Those girls are: Hailey Barbee – Distinguished Young Woman of Milwaukee – Park Knoll, Alexis Strode - Distinguished Young Woman of Milwaukee – Sherman Park and Hannah Yohnk - Distinguished Young Woman of Washington County. Additional At-Large programs will be held over the next few months. For information on becoming a participant please visit www.distinguishedyw.org.
The Distinguished Young Women of Wisconsin program will be held on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Patrick’s Day Concert with David HB Drake
- Gehl Foods, Inc. Awarded the 2014 Quality and Service Award from Dot Foods
- Comedy for a Cause Benefits Fight Against Ovarian Cancer
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce partners with Waukesha County Technical College for Human Resources for the Small Business roundtable
- Bryan Riesch Paralysis Team Challenge Event Friday, February 27th at Brookfield Elite Sports Club
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Wine & Beer Tasting Event March 21, 2015 @ 6:00pm