Hamilton High School senior Michael Y. Scott was named as candidate for the 2014 Presidential Scholars Program. The U.S. Department of Education identified 3,000 candidates among students expected to graduate from U.S. high schools in 2014.
Students were selected for their exceptional performance on either the College Board SAT or ACT assessment. Further consideration is based on students’ essays, self-assessments, descriptions of activities, school recommendations and school transcripts.
A review committee of qualified individuals experienced in secondary and postsecondary education chooses 560 semi-finalists. The Commission on Presidential Scholars will select semi-finalists in April and Presidential Scholars in May. The Commission selects up to 141 students to be named Presidential Scholars, one of the highest honors for graduating seniors.
Scholars are chosen based on superior academic and artistic achievement, leadership qualities, strong character, and involvement in community and school activities. One male and female student are chosen from each state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and families of U.S. citizens living abroad. In addition, up to 20 students from the creative and performing arts are selected.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin Swim Club Tryout Swim Camp
- Holocaust Remembrance Service
- LearningRx Tips for a Successful Parent-Teacher Conference
- Milwaukee/NARI Members Advise That Details Make the Difference in Interior Design
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Woodman's in Waukesha and at Good Harvest
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Lenten Concert & Fish Fry
- Connor Remodeling & Design Wins Three WRA Golds for Second Consecutive Year
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Surgery or Chiropractic for Chronic Sciatica Sufferers?
- Shane Zodrow Joins R.A. Smith National as Survey Project Manager