Hamilton High School senior Michael Y. Scott was named as candidate for the 2014 Presidential Scholars Program. The U.S. Department of Education identified 3,000 candidates among students expected to graduate from U.S. high schools in 2014.
Students were selected for their exceptional performance on either the College Board SAT or ACT assessment. Further consideration is based on students’ essays, self-assessments, descriptions of activities, school recommendations and school transcripts.
A review committee of qualified individuals experienced in secondary and postsecondary education chooses 560 semi-finalists. The Commission on Presidential Scholars will select semi-finalists in April and Presidential Scholars in May. The Commission selects up to 141 students to be named Presidential Scholars, one of the highest honors for graduating seniors.
Scholars are chosen based on superior academic and artistic achievement, leadership qualities, strong character, and involvement in community and school activities. One male and female student are chosen from each state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and families of U.S. citizens living abroad. In addition, up to 20 students from the creative and performing arts are selected.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Shortening the Road to Recovery After an Automobile Injury: Your Chiropractor Can Help
- Journey with Jesus, Easter for Kids
- The Woodworker's Gym, a Public-access Woodworking Shop Open in Brookfield
- Paul Mitchell the School Milwaukee Takes Part in National Open House Night
- Concordia University to host community thought leaders series
- Callen Earns Esteemed 2015 Angie’s List Super Service Award
- CigarMKE - Know Your Leaf
- R.A. Smith National’s Mike Bach Promoted to Project Manager
- Break Out of the Winter Blues – and Heat Things Up – at Valentine’s Day!
- College Works Painting Internship