Did you know that puzzles can do more than just keep young ones and even older children entertained? Puzzles can help strengthen important brain skills.
“Puzzles are great because they require a child to use cognitive skills like visual processing, logic and reasoning, attention, and processing speed,” says Kevin Pasqua, owner and executive director of LearningRx in Brookfield. “Strong cognitive skills are important for successful learning later on.”
Cognitive skills are the underlying tools that enable kids to focus, think, prioritize, plan, understand, visualize, remember and create useful associations, and solve problems. Students with weak cognition may struggle with reading or math, might be labeled as having ADD or ADHD or experience a host of other learning challenges.
Cognitive skills training (also known as “brain training”) can address and solve the root causes of learning problems. LearningRx specializes in brain training that increases the speed, power and function of the brain and reduces or eliminates learning problems for people of all ages. Using mental exercises and a 1:1 trainer-to-student ratio, the program capitalizes on the brain’s plasticity to strengthen neural connections and even form new ones.
“Watching your child do a puzzle can give you some insight into which brain skills are already strong, and which need to be strengthened. Puzzles are just one brain exercise but other household games like Connect 4, Uno and Stratego can also help children build their cognitive skills,” explains Pasqua. “It’s also important for parents to know that repetition and increasing the speed of completion are vitally important when doing brain training exercises.”
For more information on LearningRx’s programs, call 262-395-2250 or visit www.learningrx.com/milwaukee-brookfield. LearningRx Brookfield is located at 21075 Swenson Dr., Waukesha.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What statement will people REALLY be making on Denim Day, April 23?
- CYP Waukesha Hosts “Conservative Media Night” Networking Event
- Upcoming Sunset Playhouse Musical MainStage Concert features Elm Grove Resident
- Support the Arts at Spring Westside Artwalk
- Wisconsin Singers Debuts in Brookfield
- St. Francis All Abilities Playground Craft/Vendor Fair
- Brookfield Ameriprise Advisors Achieve Status as NABCAP Premier Advisors
- Brookfield Central junior supports girls in Tanzania and earns highest Girl Scout honor
- Register now! Read It & Eat - Popular Library Program
- Learn about Compost on Earth Day at Brew City Gardens