Woodside Elementary School families and staff members are showing compassion for others once again this Thanksgiving season by donating turkey baskets to families in need in Milwaukee’s Notre Dame Middle School community.
Just as they did last year, Woodside students were asked to donate money they earned by doing chores at home. With more than $1,500 collected, parent volunteers shopped for groceries to build the baskets. Items included a frozen turkey, bag of stuffing, jar of gravy, white and sweet potatoes, fresh vegetables, bread, canned cranberries, a fresh pie, beverages, appetizers such as crackers and nuts, along with an aluminum roasting pan. All of the items were put into a large sturdy laundry basket and delivered to families.
“This has been an extremely rewarding service project for all the students,” said Rayelle Simonsen, a Woodside teacher who helped organize the collection. “It’s amazing how just doing a few chores around the house is now going to feed 21 families.”
Parent volunteers who shopped for each turkey basket dropped off completed baskets Nov. 25 at Woodside, and individuals from Notre Dame picked them up.
Notre Dame is a successful middle school in Milwaukee that serves Hispanic girls in grades 5-8. The school’s academic outcomes includes a 98 percent high school graduation rate with 82 percent of its students continuing on to college. Some 94 percent of the families live at or below poverty level and the past few years have been especially difficult because the recession has affected many jobs .
Remaining money after the Thanksgiving meals were purchased were donated to the Sussex Food Pantry.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- CTV Easter Week Services
- Mount Mary University Offers Creative Connections Camp
- City of Brookfield's 2014 Summer Program Registration
- Community Blood Drive Hosted by Christ the King Church of Delafield
- April Math Awareness Month
- Waukesha BluesFest Announces 2014 Entertainment Line-up - Tickets on Sale Tues., April 15
- Christ the King Presents Good Friday Cantata; Easter Services Announced
- Finale Music Notation Software for Beginners
- Free Community Open House
- Newman Civic Fellows Award for 2014