The UUCW Community Art Gallery will be hosting a new exhibit starting October 24 and running until November 14. The exhibit, Standing on Their Shoulders: Memories of Bronzeville, is a Milwaukee Public Schools student-produced collection of murals, essays, photo collages and recorded interviews that provides a window into the cultural center of Milwaukee’s African-American community in the first half of the 20th century.
The exhibit was originally presented by KnowThyself, an organization that encourages character development and creative expression for middle and high school students across ten MPS schools. Photographer Paul Calhoun directs the exhibit.
The Bronzeville exhibit can be viewed between and after worship services on Sundays or by special appointment (See http://www.uucw.org/worship/worship-schedule). UUCW is located on the eastern edge of Brookfield at 13001 W. North Ave., only minutes west of the North Avenue exit on Highway 45.
The Unitarian Universalist Church West Community Room Gallery champions local and non-local emerging and established artists, and strives to build community through the visual arts. The gallery also provides a space for exhibiting artwork that grapples with issues of diversity, tolerance, and social justice, plus art that celebrates the planet and the interdependent web of all existence. Unitarian Universalist Church West values diversity and works to create peace and fight oppression.
For more information about Unitarian Universalist Church West see http://www.uucw.org, call (262) 782-3535, or send an email to email@example.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa ESPRIT POMS (Seniors) and ESPRIT POMS (Juniors) Earn First Place and Second Places Honors at Badger State Pom Competition in Madison, WI
- FREE Parent/Child YOGA at Authentic Birth Center • Wellness Collective
- St. Matthew's Lutheran Church to Present Christmas Concert
- Encourage your kids to become involved in extracurriculars
- Edward Zapencki Continued to Collect Money From Businesses for Fun Maps He Didn’t Deliver
- Serenity Spa and Salon Provides Free Aveda Service to Breast Cancer Patients
- Kids from Wisconsin 2014 Audtions
- Community invited to holiday concert
- Wisconsin Bank & Trust Expands Dedicated Mortgage Lending Offices in Brookfield, Madison and Green Bay
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive