The Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org), which is celebrating its 80th anniversary season this year, will hold auditions for new members on Wednesday, August 28 starting at 6:30 p.m. at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church (1529 Wauwatosa Avenue). Appointments are recommended and can be made by calling 414/354-1933 or emailing email@example.com. Walk-ins also are welcome and will be heard when the schedule permits. A potential member must be a high school graduate or at least 18 years old.
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., director of choral activities at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, has been conductor of the Choristers since 1993. He will conduct the private auditions and advises that no prepared material is necessary, although knowledge of music or previous choral experience is beneficial. Dr. Kinchen will ask the candidates to sing a familiar song and sight-sing a simple melody. During the audition, he will be testing vocal range and evaluating tonal memory.
Singers accepted will join the Choristers in weekly evening rehearsals at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church beginning on Wednesday, Sept. 4. Details and additional advice about the audition process are available on the Choristers’ website – www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
The Milwaukee Choristers began in November, 1933 when a group of nearly 20 graduates of Riverside High School’s A Cappella Choir, with the support and direction of their high school conductor, Ellen Sargeant, decided to continue singing. The chorus is one of the area’s oldest performing arts groups and has 75 members from nearly two dozen area communities.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Holiday concert will be performed by children’s orchestra
- Easter Seals SE Wisconsin to expand training, employment opportunities by creating accessible commercial kitchen
- Ellingson signs with University of Iowa
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce: Announces 2014 Board of Directors
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Breakfast with Santa and Mrs. Claus
- Holy Apostles Fish Fry
- Foti Chiropractic Sending Make-A-Wish Recipient to Hawaii in December
- Donate to Toys for Tots and Win at the Settimi Chiropractic and Wellness Center of Brookfield
- Waukesha County Taxpayer’s Endorse