The Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org), which is celebrating its 80th anniversary season this year, will hold auditions for new members on Wednesday, August 28 starting at 6:30 p.m. at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church (1529 Wauwatosa Avenue). Appointments are recommended and can be made by calling 414/354-1933 or emailing email@example.com. Walk-ins also are welcome and will be heard when the schedule permits. A potential member must be a high school graduate or at least 18 years old.
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., director of choral activities at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, has been conductor of the Choristers since 1993. He will conduct the private auditions and advises that no prepared material is necessary, although knowledge of music or previous choral experience is beneficial. Dr. Kinchen will ask the candidates to sing a familiar song and sight-sing a simple melody. During the audition, he will be testing vocal range and evaluating tonal memory.
Singers accepted will join the Choristers in weekly evening rehearsals at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church beginning on Wednesday, Sept. 4. Details and additional advice about the audition process are available on the Choristers’ website – www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
The Milwaukee Choristers began in November, 1933 when a group of nearly 20 graduates of Riverside High School’s A Cappella Choir, with the support and direction of their high school conductor, Ellen Sargeant, decided to continue singing. The chorus is one of the area’s oldest performing arts groups and has 75 members from nearly two dozen area communities.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Shortening the Road to Recovery After an Automobile Injury: Your Chiropractor Can Help
- Journey with Jesus, Easter for Kids
- The Woodworker's Gym, a Public-access Woodworking Shop Open in Brookfield
- Paul Mitchell the School Milwaukee Takes Part in National Open House Night
- Concordia University to host community thought leaders series
- Callen Earns Esteemed 2015 Angie’s List Super Service Award
- CigarMKE - Know Your Leaf
- R.A. Smith National’s Mike Bach Promoted to Project Manager
- Break Out of the Winter Blues – and Heat Things Up – at Valentine’s Day!
- College Works Painting Internship