The Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org), which is celebrating its 80th anniversary season this year, will hold auditions for new members on Wednesday, August 28 starting at 6:30 p.m. at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church (1529 Wauwatosa Avenue). Appointments are recommended and can be made by calling 414/354-1933 or emailing email@example.com. Walk-ins also are welcome and will be heard when the schedule permits. A potential member must be a high school graduate or at least 18 years old.
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., director of choral activities at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, has been conductor of the Choristers since 1993. He will conduct the private auditions and advises that no prepared material is necessary, although knowledge of music or previous choral experience is beneficial. Dr. Kinchen will ask the candidates to sing a familiar song and sight-sing a simple melody. During the audition, he will be testing vocal range and evaluating tonal memory.
Singers accepted will join the Choristers in weekly evening rehearsals at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church beginning on Wednesday, Sept. 4. Details and additional advice about the audition process are available on the Choristers’ website – www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
The Milwaukee Choristers began in November, 1933 when a group of nearly 20 graduates of Riverside High School’s A Cappella Choir, with the support and direction of their high school conductor, Ellen Sargeant, decided to continue singing. The chorus is one of the area’s oldest performing arts groups and has 75 members from nearly two dozen area communities.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wayne Vandenbergh Joins R.A. Smith National as Structural Services Project Manager
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: New Consumer Reports Data Highlight Patients’ Satisfaction with Chiropractic Care
- Trinity UCC Jazz Worship & Luncheon
- Community Canine Health Clinic
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Puzzles Good for a Child’s Developing Brain
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on January 28, 2015
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Daddy & Daughter Dance Party
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County