On Sat., Aug. 17 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Respect Our Waters will be at Rotary Park for the HAWS’ Pet Fair to give away pet waste bags, host a drawing for a rain barrel and educate residents on individual actions they can take to help improve area rivers and Lake Michigan. The group will also answer questions, provide information and give away Sparkles the Water Spaniel buttons.
“Everyone plays an important role in keeping our rivers and lakes clean and healthy. There are a number of simple and easy actions that help our waterways,” says Jeff Martinka, co-chair of Respect Our Waters and executive director of Sweet Water.
According to Martinka, residents should:
-Pick up pet waste.
-Leave grass clippings on the lawn.
-Use lawn fertilizer and chemicals sparingly. In fact, he recommends testing the soil to make sure the yard really needs the extra nutrients before applying fertilizer.
-Inspect vehicles to make sure they’re not leaking oil or other fluids.
-Plant a rain garden and trees.
-Direct downspouts into rain barrels, the yard or garden instead of the sewer or driveway.
-Use a carwash or wash cars on the lawn.
“What many residents don’t realize is that anything that washes into storm sewers goes directly into our rivers and Lake Michigan,” explains Martinka. “That means, whenever it rains, dog poop, lawn fertilizer, car fluids and any other debris on sidewalks, streets and parking lots gets deposited into our waterways.”
For more information, visit RespectOurWaters.org, RootPikeWIN.org or SwwtWater.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Trinity UCC to Host Silent Auction Fundraiser for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Planning the Patio Vegetable Garden
- KNAPP CHIROPRACTIC CELEBRATES 3 YEARS IN BUSINESS WITH OPEN HOUSE
- Exercise Caution When Purchasing Final Four Tickets
- Braille menus now offered by several Wauwatosa-area restaurants
- Adults Skate Too
- Local Businesses Join Together to Support Youngest Victims of Domestic Violence
- John Kastner of R.A. Smith National Receives Young Engineer of the Year Award
- Gary Dunco Achieves Ameriprise Private Wealth Advisor Status