Templeton Middle School was presented with the Program Excellence Award by the International Technology & Engineering Educator Association (ITEEA) at its annual conference in Columbus, Ohio. Templeton was one of only 29 programs worldwide to earn the prestigious award.
The Program Excellence Award is one of the highest honors given to technology and engineering programs serving students in grades K-12. Presentation of the award, which recognizes outstanding contributions to the profession and students, was given at the largest technology and engineering education conference in the world. Templeton applied engineering and technology teacher Shannon Flaherty received award plaques and pins at the first general session of the conference.
Templeton transformed its technology and engineering program in 2006-07, taking it from traditional industrial arts to a STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) based curriculum. The program has seen an increase in course offerings, elective enrollments and female student enrollment.
All seventh grade students are required to take “Gateway to Technology and Engineering” which focuses on technology and the design and modeling process. Eighth-graders may choose “Technology and Engineering Education” which introduces students to material properties, structures, computer-aided 3D design, digital electronics, energy transfer, wood and plastic fabrication and automation. Both classes follow the Project Lead the Way curriculum to integrate increasingly high levels of math, science and writing.
Flaherty said he is proud that Templeton has significantly increased the rigor of the program while attracting more students. Enrollment in the eighth grade elective course increased from 43 students in 2006 to more than 100 students last year.
Templeton was chosen the Middle School Program of the Year in 2012 by the Wisconsin Technology Education Association outstanding service and commitment to technology education.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Seeking Adult Day Services Program Volunteers at Lutheran Home
- Car Seat and Booster Safety Check
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues sponsorship of “Social Media Tools for Business” workshop for regional businesses
- LearningRx Hosts May 30 Open House
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues to add new members
- Daylily Society of SE WI/daylily sale
- Christ the King To Host Rummage Sale June 27
- Stan’s Fit For Your Feet Receives Wisconsin Family Business of the Year Award
- Local Converters and Packaging Suppliers Invited to Attend the Label & Package Printing Industry Day, June 25, in Milwaukee
- 1212 Bodyworks Grand Opening