St. Mary's Visitation Student Off to Madison for State Spelling Bee after Capturing Regionals
Elizabeth Janowski, an eighth grader at St. Mary's Visitation School in Elm Grove, won the CESA Regional Spelling Bee on February 13. As top speller in the region, Elizabeth will be representing the southeastern Wisconsin region at the Badger State Spelling Bee in Madison in March.
To capture the title, Elizabeth, a resident of Brookfield, outlasted top spellers from 24 private and public schools from southeastern Wisconsin. She qualified for regionals by winning -- for the second year in a row -- the CESA 1 district spelling bee, comprised of 21 spellers from nine Waukesha county private schools.
Elizabeth won the regional spelling bee by correctly spelling the word "aristocracy." To capture the district title, she correctly spelled the word "derisible."
"I prepare a few days ahead of each spelling bee using a collection or word list I've found online," said Elizabeth. " I enjoy spelling bees because you get to hear a lot of new words that are not usually used in a regular vocabulary."
The Wisconsin state champion will represent Wisconsin in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC.
The Badger Spelling Bee is sponsored by the Wisconsin Business Journal.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Judi Murphy of Murphy Associates honored with Chamber Champion Award
- Knapp Chiropractic Adopts A Local Family
- The C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook Gives More than $600 to Two Schools in Second Round of Donations
- Brookfield's Knights of Columbus Are Santa's Helpers for Milwaukee's Poor
- Middle School Students Gather Toys for Milwaukee's Poor
- Brown Deer resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- KNAPP CHIROPRACTIC AND WELLNESS CENTER, INC. PATIENTS GIVE OUTSTANDING TESTIMONIALS
- Brookfield resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County