Hamilton High School senior Kate Wehrman has been selected as one of two Wisconsin student delegates to attend the U.S. Senate Youth Program (USSYP) in Washington, D.C. Wehrman will be one of 104 delegates attending the weeklong government and leadership education program sponsored by the Hearst Foundations. In addition, she will receive a one-time $5,000 undergraduate college scholarship with encouragement to pursue coursework in history and political science.
USSYP is a national initiative to provide a yearly opportunity for talented young people with demonstrated leadership abilities to deepen their understanding of America’s political processes and strengthen their resolve to pursue careers in public service. Student delegates will meet a U.S. Supreme Court justice and hear major policy addresses from senators, cabinet members, State and Defense department officials.
Wehrman was one of 66 Wisconsin applicants and was selected after a rigorous process that included short and long essays and a telephone interview.
“Kate is an outstanding example of the dedication and talent of our Wisconsin students,” said Department of Public Instruction Superintendent Tony Evers, Ph.D. “She competed against the best and brightest young people in the state to be chosen as a delegate.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- Impact Networking is Great Rated! By Employees for 2-Years in Row
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Makes The Top 60 National Firms For Customer Satisfaction
- Jim Palzewicz brings EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) to Wisconsin
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- Waukesha County Youth Hockey Moms Face Off Against Cancer
- Art and Nature Come Together at the First Annual Artists in The Garden Weekend at the Boerner Botanical Gardens in Whitnall Park, September 12th and 13th, 2015
- Backpack Coalition Distributes 2,100 Backpacks
- Oak Hill Terrace Hosts Program "Paying for Assisted Living"