Hamilton High School senior Kate Wehrman has been selected as one of two Wisconsin student delegates to attend the U.S. Senate Youth Program (USSYP) in Washington, D.C. Wehrman will be one of 104 delegates attending the weeklong government and leadership education program sponsored by the Hearst Foundations. In addition, she will receive a one-time $5,000 undergraduate college scholarship with encouragement to pursue coursework in history and political science.
USSYP is a national initiative to provide a yearly opportunity for talented young people with demonstrated leadership abilities to deepen their understanding of America’s political processes and strengthen their resolve to pursue careers in public service. Student delegates will meet a U.S. Supreme Court justice and hear major policy addresses from senators, cabinet members, State and Defense department officials.
Wehrman was one of 66 Wisconsin applicants and was selected after a rigorous process that included short and long essays and a telephone interview.
“Kate is an outstanding example of the dedication and talent of our Wisconsin students,” said Department of Public Instruction Superintendent Tony Evers, Ph.D. “She competed against the best and brightest young people in the state to be chosen as a delegate.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sunset Playhouse presents, direct from San Francisco, an evening of non-stop laughter: Will Durst in BOOMERAGING.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale
- "Shotgun Lovesongs" Book Discussion at Brookfield Library
- Easter Seals of Southeast Wisconsin to Honor Governor, Community Leaders for Supporting Its Mission
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Freaky Friday Dance
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are Chiropractic X-Rays Safe?
- Callen’s Muskego Showroom to Host Easter Bunny March 28
- Lecture on Increase Lapham, Mapmaker at UWM
- Breen Wines Offers New Wine Event In Wauwatosa