Hamilton High School senior Kate Wehrman has been selected as one of two Wisconsin student delegates to attend the U.S. Senate Youth Program (USSYP) in Washington, D.C. Wehrman will be one of 104 delegates attending the weeklong government and leadership education program sponsored by the Hearst Foundations. In addition, she will receive a one-time $5,000 undergraduate college scholarship with encouragement to pursue coursework in history and political science.
USSYP is a national initiative to provide a yearly opportunity for talented young people with demonstrated leadership abilities to deepen their understanding of America’s political processes and strengthen their resolve to pursue careers in public service. Student delegates will meet a U.S. Supreme Court justice and hear major policy addresses from senators, cabinet members, State and Defense department officials.
Wehrman was one of 66 Wisconsin applicants and was selected after a rigorous process that included short and long essays and a telephone interview.
“Kate is an outstanding example of the dedication and talent of our Wisconsin students,” said Department of Public Instruction Superintendent Tony Evers, Ph.D. “She competed against the best and brightest young people in the state to be chosen as a delegate.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield's Knights of Columbus Are Santa's Helpers for Milwaukee's Poor
- Middle School Students Gather Toys for Milwaukee's Poor
- Brown Deer resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- KNAPP CHIROPRACTIC AND WELLNESS CENTER, INC. PATIENTS GIVE OUTSTANDING TESTIMONIALS
- Brookfield resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Brandish Creative Group launches to support regional small businesses
- City of Brookfield's Winter/Spring Activity Registration, January 10, 2015
- Merry Christmas to the World!