As part of its “Buck a Book” program, Christina Garley’s fifth-grade classroom at Maple Avenue Elementary donated $50 to the Wisconsin Stars and Stripes Honor Flight. Since the 2006-07 school year when students began participating in the Buck a Book program, Garley’s fifth grade classes have donated a total of $600 to various organizations.
The reading incentive program encourages students to read on their own time and raise money for a cause they deem important. Parent feedback regarding the program indicates that it has been successful in motivating students to read. For each book students complete and record in their reading log, they bring in $1 or whatever they can from home. Once $50 is collected, the class decides where to donate the money.
The mission of the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight is to fly World War II veterans and terminally ill veterans from other wars on a one-day trip to see their memorials in Washington, D.C. The organization also works closely with schools throughout Wisconsin to ensure that future generations appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf.
Maple Avenue Elementary School is located at W240 N6059 Maple Ave. in Sussex.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Learning Never Ends...An Evening for Adults
- Locally Owned MOZZALUNA PIZZERIA & RISTORANTE is doing a Free Pizza Give Away on 9/25/14
- Operation Forward March to Benefit Wounded Warrior Project
- Operation Forward March to benefit Wounded Warrior Project
- HillYeah! Named a Silver Spokes Team for 2014 Bike MS Fundraising Efforts
- Maple Avenue earns state high progress award
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Callen Debuts Updated Website
- Nain Lutheran Church Celebrates 100th Anniversary
- Milwaukee NARI Home Improvement & Remodeling Show