As part of its “Buck a Book” program, Christina Garley’s fifth-grade classroom at Maple Avenue Elementary donated $50 to the Wisconsin Stars and Stripes Honor Flight. Since the 2006-07 school year when students began participating in the Buck a Book program, Garley’s fifth grade classes have donated a total of $600 to various organizations.
The reading incentive program encourages students to read on their own time and raise money for a cause they deem important. Parent feedback regarding the program indicates that it has been successful in motivating students to read. For each book students complete and record in their reading log, they bring in $1 or whatever they can from home. Once $50 is collected, the class decides where to donate the money.
The mission of the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight is to fly World War II veterans and terminally ill veterans from other wars on a one-day trip to see their memorials in Washington, D.C. The organization also works closely with schools throughout Wisconsin to ensure that future generations appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf.
Maple Avenue Elementary School is located at W240 N6059 Maple Ave. in Sussex.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- Impact Networking is Great Rated! By Employees for 2-Years in Row
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Makes The Top 60 National Firms For Customer Satisfaction
- Jim Palzewicz brings EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) to Wisconsin
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- Waukesha County Youth Hockey Moms Face Off Against Cancer
- Art and Nature Come Together at the First Annual Artists in The Garden Weekend at the Boerner Botanical Gardens in Whitnall Park, September 12th and 13th, 2015
- Backpack Coalition Distributes 2,100 Backpacks
- Oak Hill Terrace Hosts Program "Paying for Assisted Living"