As part of its “Buck a Book” program, Christina Garley’s fifth-grade classroom at Maple Avenue Elementary donated $50 to the Wisconsin Stars and Stripes Honor Flight. Since the 2006-07 school year when students began participating in the Buck a Book program, Garley’s fifth grade classes have donated a total of $600 to various organizations.
The reading incentive program encourages students to read on their own time and raise money for a cause they deem important. Parent feedback regarding the program indicates that it has been successful in motivating students to read. For each book students complete and record in their reading log, they bring in $1 or whatever they can from home. Once $50 is collected, the class decides where to donate the money.
The mission of the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight is to fly World War II veterans and terminally ill veterans from other wars on a one-day trip to see their memorials in Washington, D.C. The organization also works closely with schools throughout Wisconsin to ensure that future generations appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf.
Maple Avenue Elementary School is located at W240 N6059 Maple Ave. in Sussex.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blaze Fast-Fire’d Pizza Celebrates “Pi Day” with $3.14 Pizzas on Friday, March 14
- Greater Menomonee Falls Foundation accepting grant requests - applications due April 7!
- Doherty Named Distinguished Young Woman of Menomonee Falls for 2015
- Milwaukee Montessori School Welcomes Catherine Brys as Director of Child Care Program
- BELLWETHER’S PRIVATE LOAN FUNDING
- Holiday Food Drive For Hunger Task Force to be Featured in St. Patrick’s Day Parades
- BEHS Forensics Wins 2nd at Whitefish Bay Invitational
- Grand Opening of this New & Unique Shop Destination Shop to Carrie On
- Local Artists invited to participate in WRAP Exhibit and Workshop
- Author Recounts Exploration of Lake Michigan Ship Sunk in 1860