As part of its “Buck a Book” program, Christina Garley’s fifth-grade classroom at Maple Avenue Elementary donated $50 to the Wisconsin Stars and Stripes Honor Flight. Since the 2006-07 school year when students began participating in the Buck a Book program, Garley’s fifth grade classes have donated a total of $600 to various organizations.
The reading incentive program encourages students to read on their own time and raise money for a cause they deem important. Parent feedback regarding the program indicates that it has been successful in motivating students to read. For each book students complete and record in their reading log, they bring in $1 or whatever they can from home. Once $50 is collected, the class decides where to donate the money.
The mission of the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight is to fly World War II veterans and terminally ill veterans from other wars on a one-day trip to see their memorials in Washington, D.C. The organization also works closely with schools throughout Wisconsin to ensure that future generations appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf.
Maple Avenue Elementary School is located at W240 N6059 Maple Ave. in Sussex.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sunset Playhouse presents, direct from San Francisco, an evening of non-stop laughter: Will Durst in BOOMERAGING.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale
- "Shotgun Lovesongs" Book Discussion at Brookfield Library
- Easter Seals of Southeast Wisconsin to Honor Governor, Community Leaders for Supporting Its Mission
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Freaky Friday Dance
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are Chiropractic X-Rays Safe?
- Callen’s Muskego Showroom to Host Easter Bunny March 28
- Lecture on Increase Lapham, Mapmaker at UWM
- Breen Wines Offers New Wine Event In Wauwatosa