As part of its “Buck a Book” program, Christina Garley’s fifth-grade classroom at Maple Avenue Elementary donated $50 to the Wisconsin Stars and Stripes Honor Flight. Since the 2006-07 school year when students began participating in the Buck a Book program, Garley’s fifth grade classes have donated a total of $600 to various organizations.
The reading incentive program encourages students to read on their own time and raise money for a cause they deem important. Parent feedback regarding the program indicates that it has been successful in motivating students to read. For each book students complete and record in their reading log, they bring in $1 or whatever they can from home. Once $50 is collected, the class decides where to donate the money.
The mission of the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight is to fly World War II veterans and terminally ill veterans from other wars on a one-day trip to see their memorials in Washington, D.C. The organization also works closely with schools throughout Wisconsin to ensure that future generations appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf.
Maple Avenue Elementary School is located at W240 N6059 Maple Ave. in Sussex.
- Brookfield Safety Town: Then and Now
- MCW awarded $1.9 million for cardiovascular research in chronic kidney disease
- Wauwatosa West Class of 2001 Reunion
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce sponsoring Waukesha regional job fair
- Demlang Builders Welcomes Martha Ziegler as Selections Coordinator
- Cardiovascular Center Golf Challenge puts spotlight on heart disease
- Free Cyber-Seniors Documentary Screening
- Support Your Immune System With Essential Oils
- The Flying Electrons Airfest 2016
- Toomas Mitt and TBG Networks change direction of company; introduces POM services