FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For Additional Information:
Lori Hayes, Division Manager of Volunteer Engagement
United Way in Waukesha County
United Way Connects the Community to Volunteer Opportunities
(November 13, 2012) – Waukesha, WI – United Way in Waukesha County would like to invite volunteers to the following opportunities:
GED Tutors, Literacy Council of Greater Waukesha, Waukesha
Volunteers are needed to tutor students that did not graduate from high school and are studying for their General Equivalency Degree or High School Equivalency Degree. Tutors meet with their students at least once per week for an hour at a local library, school, or public building. Volunteers are needed throughout Waukesha County. Dates and times are coordinated between the tutor and their student once matched. Requirements: Volunteers must be a minimum of 18 years old. Training is included.
Retzer Winter JanBoree Volunteer, Waukesha County Park System, Waukesha
Join the winter fun! The Waukesha Winter JanBoree is held on an annual basis on the third weekend in January. Retzer Nature Center always holds its activities on the Sunday of JanBoree weekend - this year being Sunday, January 20th. Assist with children & family activities at the Retzer Nature Center. Activities include simple crafts, snowshoe rentals, and outdoor nature-related activities. Two volunteer shifts are available: 9:30am-1:00 pm or 12:30 to 4:00 pm.
Be a Snow Angel for a Senior this Winter!, Interfaith Senior Programs, Waukesha
Help a neighbor in your community this winter! Volunteers are needed beginning with the first snowfall until April 2013. Volunteers will be matched with a senior or adult with a disability in their community to remove snow from their driveway and sidewalk. Details can be coordinated directly with the person you serve. Enjoy the crisp winter weather as you provide this needed service to an individual that is no longer able to shovel snow due to age or physical condition. Requirements: Volunteers must be a minimum of 15 years old. Volunteers may need to bring own equipment.
Comedy Show - Outing Aide, Goodwill Industries of SE Wisconsin, Waukesha
Come out for a day on the town! Spend time with adults with disabilities as they attend a comedy show in downtown Waukesha followed by a treat at a local cafe. Volunteer will assist with seating, serving and clearing food, and providing companionship. This outing will be held on Saturday, January 19 from 12:30 - 3:00pm. Volunteers must be a minimum of 16 years old, social and mature with a desire to show participants that they are valued. A mandatory 30 minute orientation will be provided prior to your shift.
For more information on United Way in Waukesha County, call (262) 547-8459 or visit www.UnitedWayWaukesha.org/volunteer or www.VolunteerWaukesha.com
# # #
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Newcastle Place staff completes training for Heartfelt Connections Memory Care Program
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on May 27
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help