Kelly Riordan of Dousman, a junior at Kettle Moraine School of Arts and Performance and a girl member of the Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast (GSWISE) Board of Directors, was the keynote speaker at the recent United Way in Waukesha County’s 2011 Campaign Appreciation Breakfast.
A Girl Scout for the past twelve years, Riordan spoke about how her experiences as a Girl Scout have evolved over the years and how the leadership opportunities that Girl Scouts provide have given her the confidence and courage to try new things and excel in every aspect of her life.
“That courage has given me the confidence in my skills and in myself to stand in front of you today. And that confidence has helped me to develop my own character and own it,” said Riordan.
Riordan cites the adult volunteers she has met through GSWISE as some of the most influential women in her life. “The 8,000 adult volunteers of Girl Scout certainly take a ‘Live United’ approach when it comes to developing girls into the confident and capable girls who will serve the Waukesha community and be the next generation of United Way supporters,” commentd Riordan.
A 4.0 student, Riordan enjoys playing field hockey, curling, and is a drum major for her high school marching band. Outside of school, she has been a member of the Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra for six years, teaches beginner clarinet lessons, and enjoys sharing her music with residents of several area nursing homes.
“There is no doubt in my mind that Girl Scouts has shaped who I am. I am incredibly proud to be a Girl Scout,” concluded Kelly.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- High Honors Earned At Wisconsin State Fair
- Attorney Sarah A. Ponath Opens New General Practice Law Office in Butler
- Waukesha County Recycling & Water Resources: In the Community
- Required School Supplies More than Families Can Afford
- 21st Annual Sprint for Spina Bifida Showcases Local Talent
- Hurry! Hamilton Class of 60s-70s Reunion is Almost Here
- Grounds Maintenance Services is Hiring!
- Brookfield East Jr. Spartans Baseball Tryouts
- Waterstone Mortgage Corporation Named Platinum Million Dollar Lender
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County