Kelly Riordan of Dousman, a junior at Kettle Moraine School of Arts and Performance and a girl member of the Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast (GSWISE) Board of Directors, was the keynote speaker at the recent United Way in Waukesha County’s 2011 Campaign Appreciation Breakfast.
A Girl Scout for the past twelve years, Riordan spoke about how her experiences as a Girl Scout have evolved over the years and how the leadership opportunities that Girl Scouts provide have given her the confidence and courage to try new things and excel in every aspect of her life.
“That courage has given me the confidence in my skills and in myself to stand in front of you today. And that confidence has helped me to develop my own character and own it,” said Riordan.
Riordan cites the adult volunteers she has met through GSWISE as some of the most influential women in her life. “The 8,000 adult volunteers of Girl Scout certainly take a ‘Live United’ approach when it comes to developing girls into the confident and capable girls who will serve the Waukesha community and be the next generation of United Way supporters,” commentd Riordan.
A 4.0 student, Riordan enjoys playing field hockey, curling, and is a drum major for her high school marching band. Outside of school, she has been a member of the Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra for six years, teaches beginner clarinet lessons, and enjoys sharing her music with residents of several area nursing homes.
“There is no doubt in my mind that Girl Scouts has shaped who I am. I am incredibly proud to be a Girl Scout,” concluded Kelly.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- CTV Easter Week Services
- Mount Mary University Offers Creative Connections Camp
- City of Brookfield's 2014 Summer Program Registration
- Community Blood Drive Hosted by Christ the King Church of Delafield
- April Math Awareness Month
- Waukesha BluesFest Announces 2014 Entertainment Line-up - Tickets on Sale Tues., April 15
- Christ the King Presents Good Friday Cantata; Easter Services Announced
- Finale Music Notation Software for Beginners
- Free Community Open House
- Newman Civic Fellows Award for 2014