Kelly Riordan of Dousman, a junior at Kettle Moraine School of Arts and Performance and a girl member of the Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast (GSWISE) Board of Directors, was the keynote speaker at the recent United Way in Waukesha County’s 2011 Campaign Appreciation Breakfast.
A Girl Scout for the past twelve years, Riordan spoke about how her experiences as a Girl Scout have evolved over the years and how the leadership opportunities that Girl Scouts provide have given her the confidence and courage to try new things and excel in every aspect of her life.
“That courage has given me the confidence in my skills and in myself to stand in front of you today. And that confidence has helped me to develop my own character and own it,” said Riordan.
Riordan cites the adult volunteers she has met through GSWISE as some of the most influential women in her life. “The 8,000 adult volunteers of Girl Scout certainly take a ‘Live United’ approach when it comes to developing girls into the confident and capable girls who will serve the Waukesha community and be the next generation of United Way supporters,” commentd Riordan.
A 4.0 student, Riordan enjoys playing field hockey, curling, and is a drum major for her high school marching band. Outside of school, she has been a member of the Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra for six years, teaches beginner clarinet lessons, and enjoys sharing her music with residents of several area nursing homes.
“There is no doubt in my mind that Girl Scouts has shaped who I am. I am incredibly proud to be a Girl Scout,” concluded Kelly.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wayne Vandenbergh Joins R.A. Smith National as Structural Services Project Manager
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: New Consumer Reports Data Highlight Patients’ Satisfaction with Chiropractic Care
- Trinity UCC Jazz Worship & Luncheon
- Community Canine Health Clinic
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Puzzles Good for a Child’s Developing Brain
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on January 28, 2015
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Daddy & Daughter Dance Party
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County