Five students emerged as winners as they competed Jan. 17 in the annual District Spelling Bee at Templeton Middle School. Students who were top spellers were:
•Kayleigh Winston, champion, a Templeton grade 6 student;
•Samantha Moore, finalist, Templeton grade 8;
•Erica Nadolski, finalist, St. Agnes;
•Andrew O’Neill, finalist, Templeton grade 8; and
•Rashelle Pershman, finalist, Templeton grade 6.
Various public and private schools participated in the event, with “district” referring to a geographical area for the purpose of the spelling bee. Schools that participated were Lannon, Maple Avenue, Marcy and Woodside elementary schools and Templeton Middle School in the Hamilton School District, and St. Agnes in Butler and Peace Lutheran Academy in Sussex.
In all, 38 students in grades 5-8 participated in the bee. Students who won classroom or school spelling bees vied for the honor of participating in the District Spelling Bee. Top spellers of the district level bee advance to the Feb. 8 regional bee at CESA #1 in Pewaukee. Regional winners continue to the Wisconsin Spelling Bee, in hopes of qualifying for the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee, to be held next June in Washington, D.C.
The following students competed in the District Spelling Bee:
•Templeton – Madison Adams, Ryan Badalamente, Logan Cleary, Skylar Cranfield, Dylan Gissal, Dustin Hartwig, Brian Heling, Samantha Moore, Andrew O’Neill, Rashelle Pershman, Anthony Ross, Allyson Schultz, Shashank Venkataramani and Kayleigh Winston;
•St. Agnes – Charlie Brockman, Tom Endries, Erica Nadolski and Alaina Valuch;
•Marcy – Molly Hubred, Lauren Power, Laura Steiner and John Weber;
•Maple – Mabel Jankowski, Allison Meunier, Paige Nettesheim and Jessica Wishart;
•Woodside – Hanna Anderegg , Tyler Kebis, Cole Kruk , Olivia Neils , Cole Peske and Holly Venkitaswaran;
•Lannon – Ty Kozic and Lindsey Sinks; and
•Peace Lutheran – Robert Frerking, Grace Kirk, Julia Perry and Anders Rhode.
Jacque English, Templeton Middle School Spectrum resource teacher, coordinated the Spelling Bee.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kiwanis Club of Wauwatosa Public Welcome
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces 2013 “Best of Tour” Award Winner
- Express Employment Professionals Awarded “Best of Staffing”
- First annual Village Extreme to be held June 22, 2013 in Brookfield Village
- Safe Sitter Babysitting Classes Offered at Wheaton Franciscan - Elmbrook Memorial
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk With A Wheaton Doc" - Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Free music event at Luther Manor
- Butler's Picnic in the Park to Feature Vintage Baseball, Oscar Mayer Wienermobile
- Student’s award brings resources to high school
- Hamilton cheerleaders sponsor clinic