The first Get Connected program of the school year features Colleen Kirk, a presenter from “Rachel’s Challenge.” The presentation will be Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. in the Hamilton
Fine Arts Center, W220N6151 Town Line Road, Sussex.
Rachel Scott was the first person killed in the Columbine High School tragedy on April 20, 1999. She left behind an amazing legacy and a simple challenge to anyone who will accept it — treat others with kindness and compassion and you just may change the world you live in.
Rachel’s act of kindness and compassion, coupled with the contents of her six diaries, have become the foundation for a life-changing school program. After the tragedy, Rachel’s father founded “Rachel’s Challenge.” More than 1.5 million students annually experience “Rachel’s Challenge” and have the opportunity to accept the challenges modeled after Rachel’s life and writings.
When Colleen Kirk was in middle school she watched Rachel’s funeral live on CNN. Deeply captivated by Rachel’s story, she hoped that one day she would be able to share this message with others. As a speaker for Rachel’s Challenge, that dream has come true.
Get Connected is a parent network that helps parents navigate children through their school years with age-appropriate information, networking with other parents, presentations from professionals, guidance and support. Funding for the program is provided through the Hamilton School District, United Way of Waukesha County’s “Helping Kids Succeed” initiative and local business sponsorships. Business and community members who are interested in supporting Get Connected are encouraged to contact Hamilton school counselor and Get Connected Coordinator Kristin Hasbrook at (246) 1973 x1128.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Community invited to holiday concert
- Wisconsin Bank & Trust Expands Dedicated Mortgage Lending Offices in Brookfield, Madison and Green Bay
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive
- Hamilton students selected for Honors Band Festival
- Master Singers Bring the Joy of the Season
- Accelerated Sports Medicine and "Toys for Tots" Holiday Open House
- For all the golfers on your shopping list
- 2014 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show Scheduled
- Callen Construction Announces 6th Annual “Refashion for Life” Proceeds
- St. Mary School eighth grade students Delve Deeper Into Underwater Exploration at Discovery World