Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Run/Walk To Benefit Cardiac Research At The Medical College Of Wisconsin
The 15th Annual Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Club Run & Walk will be held on Saturday, February 12 at 10 a.m. at Wil-O-Way Recreation Center, 10602 Underwood Parkway in Wauwatosa. The event supports heart research at the internationally recognized Cardiovascular Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Cullen Run/Walk proceeds have helped various research programs including studies to identify genetic risk factors of heart disease, to investigate the Female Athlete Triad and its potentially life-threatening link to heart disease, and to better understand the correlation between plaque buildup and coronary artery disease.
The Cullen Run/Walk is an 8-kilometer USA Track and Field (USATF) competitive run and a 2-mile fun run/walk following a scenic path along Underwood Parkway in Wauwatosa. Sponsored by the Cullen family and the Badgerland Striders, the event includes famous Cullen Family & Friends Chili, refreshments, food, exercise fitness consultants, an awards ceremony and live music for the entire family.
The event is held in memory of Steve Cullen, a former Milwaukee alderman, who died in 1995 at age 40 of sudden cardiac arrhythmia. His father, at age 41, and two brothers, ages 53 and 51, also died of heart disease. The Cullen Run/Walk has grown in attendance by over 500% since its inception, encouraging heart healthy lifestyles for all participants, their families and friends and contributing over $300,000 to cardiovascular research and awareness.
Register online, by mail or in person on Feb. 12. Registration is $18 for individuals, $60 for families of four until Feb. 4. After that date, registration costs $22 for individuals and $70 for families of four. Team registration is encouraged for companies, schools and organizations with five or more participants who compete for the “Biggest Heart” trophy (most dollars raised for heart research) or the “Fleetest Feet” trophies (fastest times for male, female and mixed teams).
For more information and to register for the event, go to www.badgerlandstriders.org. Online registration closes Feb. 8.
Cullen Run/Walk Co-Founder and Chair is Gael Garbarino Cullen, a member of the Cardiovascular Center Advisory Board, who organizes the event in honor of her late husband, Steve Cullen. Honorary Co-Chairs include Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, WISN-TV News Analyst Mike Gousha; WISN-TV News Anchor Kathy Mykleby and Wisconsin State Representative Jim Ott.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Newcastle Place staff completes training for Heartfelt Connections Memory Care Program
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on May 27
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help