Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Run/Walk To Benefit Cardiac Research At The Medical College Of Wisconsin
The 15th Annual Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Club Run & Walk will be held on Saturday, February 12 at 10 a.m. at Wil-O-Way Recreation Center, 10602 Underwood Parkway in Wauwatosa. The event supports heart research at the internationally recognized Cardiovascular Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Cullen Run/Walk proceeds have helped various research programs including studies to identify genetic risk factors of heart disease, to investigate the Female Athlete Triad and its potentially life-threatening link to heart disease, and to better understand the correlation between plaque buildup and coronary artery disease.
The Cullen Run/Walk is an 8-kilometer USA Track and Field (USATF) competitive run and a 2-mile fun run/walk following a scenic path along Underwood Parkway in Wauwatosa. Sponsored by the Cullen family and the Badgerland Striders, the event includes famous Cullen Family & Friends Chili, refreshments, food, exercise fitness consultants, an awards ceremony and live music for the entire family.
The event is held in memory of Steve Cullen, a former Milwaukee alderman, who died in 1995 at age 40 of sudden cardiac arrhythmia. His father, at age 41, and two brothers, ages 53 and 51, also died of heart disease. The Cullen Run/Walk has grown in attendance by over 500% since its inception, encouraging heart healthy lifestyles for all participants, their families and friends and contributing over $300,000 to cardiovascular research and awareness.
Register online, by mail or in person on Feb. 12. Registration is $18 for individuals, $60 for families of four until Feb. 4. After that date, registration costs $22 for individuals and $70 for families of four. Team registration is encouraged for companies, schools and organizations with five or more participants who compete for the “Biggest Heart” trophy (most dollars raised for heart research) or the “Fleetest Feet” trophies (fastest times for male, female and mixed teams).
For more information and to register for the event, go to www.badgerlandstriders.org. Online registration closes Feb. 8.
Cullen Run/Walk Co-Founder and Chair is Gael Garbarino Cullen, a member of the Cardiovascular Center Advisory Board, who organizes the event in honor of her late husband, Steve Cullen. Honorary Co-Chairs include Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, WISN-TV News Analyst Mike Gousha; WISN-TV News Anchor Kathy Mykleby and Wisconsin State Representative Jim Ott.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce partners with Waukesha County Technical College for Human Resources for the Small Business roundtable
- Bryan Riesch Paralysis Team Challenge Event Friday, February 27th at Brookfield Elite Sports Club
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Wine & Beer Tasting Event March 21, 2015 @ 6:00pm
- Girl Scout Cookie Drive Thru
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Women Matter News Report - Chiropractic and Infertility