More household waste is produced between Thanksgiving and New Year’s than any other time of the year--about six million tons of additional waste nationwide. To avoid adding to this, consider these green tips for gifts, decorations and entertaining:
• Give gifts of time and activities like plays, concerts, movies, park stickers.
• Buy in bulk to reduce packaging waste.
• Other tips at http://use-less-stuff.com/
• Make sure to place all allowable items in the recycling bin – including NEW
milk, juice and soup cartons – www.recyclecartons.com
• Recycle old electronics such as TVs, computers, printers, VCRs, DVD
players and cell phones- www.dnr.recycle.gov/ecyclewisconsin
• Learn how to compost at home – www.waukeshacounty.gov/recycling
• Cut down on food waste- freeze or share leftovers with guests
• Donate usable household items and clothing to charities and reuse
organizations or post online at www.freecycle.com or www.craigslist.com
• Visit www.ReduceYourWasteStream.org to see how 33 households in
Waukesha County reduced their waste an average of 49% and increased
recycling 66% in one month. Challenge your family to see how well you can
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee IndyFest Returns to The Milwaukee Mile July 11-12
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- Enhance Your Home’s Exterior With Tips From Callen
- Graphics Systems Corp. Expands Executive Team with Manufacturing Industry Veteran
- The UMDF Energy for Life Walk is September 26th!
- Stan’s Fit For Your Feet Named One of the Top Footwear Stores In America
- Local Artisans complete work at Lambeau Field
- Newcastle Place to sponsor Kids & Seniors Day at Lakeshore Chinooks game
- Callen Staffer Earns National Certification Designation
- Three Professionals Bring New Expertise, Experience to ActionCOACH Business Coaching