On October 18, Half Price Books donated more than 1,500 DVDs to aid Devin McArdle, an 8th grader at St. John Vianney School in Brookfield, in his quest to provide a source of entertainment for Veterans while they receive care from the Clement J. Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Milwaukee. McArdle is an Eagle Scout candidate from the St. John Vianney Boy Scout Troop 71 in Brookfield, and he reached out to Half Price Books to help him reach his goal of donating 600 movies to the Medical Center. The donation presentation took place at the Half Price Books in Greenfield, located at 5032 S. 74th Street.
McArdle, who is the grandson of two war veterans, decided he wanted to do something to help the 55,000 veterans that the Medical Center treats annually. The VA Medical Center Volunteer Services Department recently purchased portable DVD players to be used as entertainment for patients during their stay. McArdle decided that providing patients with an extensive library of DVD movie options would be an effective way to take their minds off their illnesses.
“We are more than happy to aid Devin in such a worthy cause of providing VA Medical Center patients with a source of entertainment,” said Joe Desch, district manager of Half Price Books. “Each of our six Wisconsin stores was easily able to donate more than one hundred DVD movies for his project, and we hope it helps make the Veterans stay at the hospital a little more comfortable. It is because of this that we wanted to help Devin surpass his goal of 600 DVD movies.”
Half Price Books is the largest family-owned new and used bookstore chain with 110 retail locations in 16 states. Stores are open seven days a week and buy and sell new and used books, magazines, comics, records, CDs, DVDs and collectible items. Half Price Books has been dedicated to environmental and literacy efforts for 38 years and supports hundreds of local, national and international programs. Each year the company sponsors the Half Pint Library Book Drive at each of its stores, donating thousands of books to hospitals and clinics throughout the United States. Half Price Books is a founding contributor to Laura Bush’s National Book Festival, a continuing supporter of the National Center for Family Literacy and Feed The Children, and the founder of the environmental website BecomeGreen.org. For more information about Half Price Books, its store locations and corporate initiatives, please visit www.halfpricebooks.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- Impact Networking is Great Rated! By Employees for 2-Years in Row
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Makes The Top 60 National Firms For Customer Satisfaction
- Jim Palzewicz brings EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) to Wisconsin
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- Waukesha County Youth Hockey Moms Face Off Against Cancer
- Art and Nature Come Together at the First Annual Artists in The Garden Weekend at the Boerner Botanical Gardens in Whitnall Park, September 12th and 13th, 2015
- Backpack Coalition Distributes 2,100 Backpacks
- Oak Hill Terrace Hosts Program "Paying for Assisted Living"