The Brookfield Glacier girls hockey team fired 29 quality shots on goal but failed to convert, and dropped a 1-0 decision to University School of Milwaukee in Saturday's WIAA Sectional final game in Beaver Dam.
USM scored once near the end of the first period on a failed clearing attempt by the Glacier. USM sophomore Rose Revolinski picked up the puck and - without hesitation - turned and threw a shot on goal.
It appeared as though Glacier goalie Jenna Bales would make an easy save but the puck was deflected and went under her outstretched glove. That would prove to be the one and only goal of the contest.
In three prior meetings, Glacier was undefeated against the Wildcats from USM, winning 6-1, 3-1 and 6-1.
"Beating a good team three times is hard to do," Glacier coach Brian Smith said. "Doing it four times in a row had me nervous all week. USM came in with a good game plan and their goalie played very well. We knew if she was seeing the puck, the flow of the game would be different."
Brookfield outshot the Wildcats 29-22 and had three power plays to just one for USM. That included a 5-on-3 for over a minute in the second period, but they were unable to convert.
"We have been pretty good on special team all season," Smith said. "This week we worked on a new power play designed specifically for the possibility of a 5-on-3 advantage as well as some set-plays, but when the opportunities came tonight, we were not able to execute.
"Credit for that must go to coach (Jason) Woods and the USM girls," Smith continued. "They competed harder than we did tonight and that took us out of our game plan."
Bales saw 22 shots in the game, putting a stop to 21 of them. Glacier ends their season with a 22-3-2 record.
Three Glacier players are being recognized at the WIAA State tournament banquet Thursday night.
Morgan Hollowell was a Wisconsin Ms. Hockey finalist and first-team all-state selection. Arianna Smith was a Wisconsin Offensive Player of the Year finalist and also a first-team all-state pick. Star goalkeeper Jenna Bales was a Wisconsin Goalie of the Year finalist and honorable mention all-state selection.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Frosh Marotta takes NSC hoops world by storm
- Elmbrook Swim Club Scorecard
- Dempsey named Brookfield East's most valuable wrestler; wins Takedown award
- Brookfield East softball coach Webber has plenty of talent returning
- Brookfield East girls soccer team has 14 players returning
- Brookfield Central girls run away with Doug Johnson Invitational
- Lancers' Busch named Now All-Suburban
- Brookfield East Spartans' Miller looking to make history
- New Berlin Eisenhower's Kozlowski named to Now All-Suburban Team