The Brookfield East girls basketball squad, looking to play a full four quarters, suffered a 69-42 loss to Mukwonago on Dec. 27 at home, their third straight defeat.
The loss dropped the Spartans to 2-7, as they are 0-5 in non-conference games. The good news is East is tied for fourth in the Greater Metro Conference with West Allis Hale, each with 2-2 records.
East jumps back into the fire Friday, hosting Divine Savior Holy Angels (8-1), one of three unbeaten teams in the conference, along with Sussex Hamilton and Brookfield Central, each with 3-0 records. Then on Tuesday, East travels to Muskego to take on the Warriors (4-5) in their sixth non-conference game of the season.
The Spartans had two good quarters and two bad ones.
"It was a game of two halves, with the two bad quarters putting us in a tremendous deficit," East coach Mike Goodman said. "For the first and third quarters combined scoring, we were outscored 46-15. For the second and fourth quarters combined scoring, we outscored them 27-23."
Freshman Mariah Miller led East with 13 points, nine in the second half, and Emily Utic had 13, seven coming in the second quarter. Jenny Tuttle led four Warriors in double figures with 13.
"We have to continue to put four quarters together," Goodman said. "We were able to put points up on the board again, which we have struggled with the past few games, but it has to be consistent."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central gymnast moves on to Western Championships
- Brookfield East girls track team wins own invitational
- Brookfield Central Jr. Lancer eighth-graders win fourth straight state title
- Brookfield East finishes third at Mike Gain Invite
- Brookfield Central Lancers lose 2 of 3 games, star pitcher
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Brookfield Central girls track team third at Spartan Invitational
- Sports Notes: April 16
- Brookfield East boys out to defend state tennis crown