The Brookfield Stars whipped Greendale, 3-1, at The Ponds of Brookfield on Saturday night to get the boys hockey season off to a good start.
The Ice Force actually scored first with 3 minutes, 56 seconds left in the first period when a mistake by Brookfield near center ice created an odd-man rush for the Ice Force.
But then the Stars scored three unanswered power-play goals to secure their first win of season.
First Brookfield responded with 1:31 remaining in the first period on a power-play goal by John Rymaszewski with an assist from Robbie Fosdick to tie the score at 1-1.
Brookfield outshot Greendale 12-5 in the first period.
The Stars then took a 2-1 lead for good on their second power-play goal only 3:04 into the second period. Rymaszewski and Fosdick combined once again.
Both teams created scoring opportunities throughout the second period, but both goaltenders did their part by keeping the game close.
Two late penalties by Greendale in the second period left Brookfield on the power-play to start the third period. It did not take long for Brookfield to take a 3-1 lead only 0:56 into the third period on another power-play goal.
This time Leo Spanuello scored on a pass from Riley Keays.
Stars goalkeeper J.J. Murnane played very solid, making 21 saves and holding Greendale to only one goal.
"This was a very physical game with both teams very hungry for their first win of the season," Stars assistant coach Matt Shapiro said. "We were very pleased with our team's effort tonight. We played disciplined and took advantage of Greendale's mistakes.
"There is plenty of room for improvement and we expect our guys to make better decisions with the puck in certain areas of the ice."
But Shapiro was pleased with his team's power play.
"Our power play was able to execute and finish which really decided this game for us," he said. "Our guys know we will need to eliminate our turnovers and capitalize on our scoring opportunities moving forward. We will get back to work on Monday morning and continue to get better every day."
The Stars take part in the Sheboygan South tournament Nov. 23 and 24 at the Sheboygan Blue Line Ice Arena.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys Track: Brookfield East boys win GMC Outdoor and Triple Crown
- Boys track and field: Brookfield Central boys track team fifth at GMC Outdoor Championship
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield Central girls finish solid second in GMC Outdoor
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Lancers boys tennis team beats Falls, Fond du Lac, loses to MUHS; goes 1-2 in Saturday in
- Sports Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Softball: Brookfield Central edges East, 7-6, in crosstown thriller
- Girls track and field: Brookfield East girls win Menomonee Falls Invitational
- Boys tennis: Brookfield East boys tennis team has 4-0 week
- Sports Notes: May 19, 2016