The Glacier girls hockey team ended the 2012 portion of its season by winning the Culver's Cup championship and extending its undefeated record with a 4-0 win over St. Croix Valley, a 1-0 win over Middleton and a 3-1 win over University School of Milwaukee.
After Saturday's win over the USM Wildcats in the championship game, the No. 4 Glacier (12-0-0) have extended the longest unbeaten streak in team history with 12 straight wins.
Senior Jamie Ertl, junior Arianna Smith and sophomore Kelli Sorge netted goals, while senior Morgan Hollowell had an assist for all three scores in the victory.
Junior goalie Jenna Bales was courageous in net over the weekend.
While battling the flu and three opponents ranked in the top 10, she faced 69 shots allowing only one goal, giving her a 98 percent save percentage over the tournament.
She also earned her 37th win as the Glacier starting goalie.
Glacier goalie coach Dustin LeClaire was thrilled with Bales' performance.
"What else can you say about Jenna this weekend other than she was amazing," LeClaire said. "It's hard enough to get out of bed with this flu and Jenna not only did that, but with the help of a great team defense, she shut down three quality opponents."
After a short break now, the Glacier will get to work on a challenging January schedule.
They return home to the Ponds of Brookfield for their next game at 7 p.m. Friday against conference foe, Fond du Lac.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys track and field: Brookfield East track and field synonymous with success
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball team drops four of five
- Softball: Brookfield East's Jahnke, Knight earn first-team All-GMC softball honors
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs rally for win, stay in first place
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central's Staszkiewicz named first-team all-state for girls soccer
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team searching for results
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season