The Glacier girls hockey team ended the 2012 portion of its season by winning the Culver's Cup championship and extending its undefeated record with a 4-0 win over St. Croix Valley, a 1-0 win over Middleton and a 3-1 win over University School of Milwaukee.
After Saturday's win over the USM Wildcats in the championship game, the No. 4 Glacier (12-0-0) have extended the longest unbeaten streak in team history with 12 straight wins.
Senior Jamie Ertl, junior Arianna Smith and sophomore Kelli Sorge netted goals, while senior Morgan Hollowell had an assist for all three scores in the victory.
Junior goalie Jenna Bales was courageous in net over the weekend.
While battling the flu and three opponents ranked in the top 10, she faced 69 shots allowing only one goal, giving her a 98 percent save percentage over the tournament.
She also earned her 37th win as the Glacier starting goalie.
Glacier goalie coach Dustin LeClaire was thrilled with Bales' performance.
"What else can you say about Jenna this weekend other than she was amazing," LeClaire said. "It's hard enough to get out of bed with this flu and Jenna not only did that, but with the help of a great team defense, she shut down three quality opponents."
After a short break now, the Glacier will get to work on a challenging January schedule.
They return home to the Ponds of Brookfield for their next game at 7 p.m. Friday against conference foe, Fond du Lac.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Three Brookfield East football players earn All-Suburban honors
- Rasmussen, Knopp first-team All-Suburban
- Impressive start for Brookfield Central girls basketball
- Roundball Rankings: Player of the Week
- East girls struggle from the field
- Brookfield Academy: Dec. 5
- Dempsey, LeClaire to lead Brookfield East wrestling team
- Brookfield Stars hockey team wins Sheboygan Tournament
- Brookfield Central boys basketball rolls in Illinois tourney