The Glacier blew a 4-0 lead, but hung on and nipped University School of Milwaukee, 5-4, in overtime on Jan. 17 to begin the week. Then they fell behind early and couldn't recover on Friday at Appleton United and dropped a 4-2 decision.
In their victory Kelli Sorge of Waukesha North scored the winning goal at 6 minutes, 51 seconds in overtime to give the Glacier the win.
Kettle Moraine had taken a 2-0 lead after one period. The Glacier scored at 1:15 as Arianna Smith of Mukwonago scored with assists by Trinity Robinson and Jessica Foley, both of Brookfield Central
Another Central skater, Alexis Aghjian, scored with assists from classmate Robinson and Becca Gecks of Waukesha West at 3:08.
Kettle Moraine then added two second period-goals to take a 4-0 lead. First Central's Morgan Hollowell scored at 4:08 and then Smith scored her second goal at 7:13.
What looked like an easy win quickly changed as USM scored at 10:40 and 14:50 of the second period. Still leading 4-2, the Glacier saw USM add goals at 2:04 and 12:59 of the third period to send the game into overtime before Sorge's winning score.
Jenna Bales of Central saved 26 of 30 shots on goal.
In Friday's loss, Appleton scored three first-period goals, added a second-period goal, while the Glacier managed two goals by Smith and assists by Taija Robinson, Hollowell and Jamie Ertl of Menomonee Falls. Bales stopped 25 of 29 shots on goal.
The Glacier is now 15-4 overall and 7-3 in the Eastern Shores Conference, good enough for second. Appleton United is in third (4-2-1, 10-6-2) and USM is fourth (5-3-1, 12-6-0).
Kettle Moraine ended up splitting two games with their closest competition behind first-place Bay Area (4-1, 11-3-1).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Seniors key Brookfield East boys' success
- Congenital glaucoma doesn't stop Blue Knights' Dentice
- Brookfield Central baseball faces busy schedule
- Cedarburg tops Lancers, 3-1, moves to state finals
- Turelli's goal gives Lancers 1-0 win over Neenah in state quarter-finals
- WIAA state girls soccer preview
- Brookfield East boys tennis team can't topple tennis giant, Marquette
- Elmbrook Swim Club grabs several records at Schroeder meet
- Brookfield East whips Marquette High School twice