While a dominant student/athlete at Brookfield East, Dennis Fadeski was the state player of the year, the leader of the unbeaten WIAA state and mythical national soccer champions of 1995.
In the process, he earned a major Division I scholarship and, oh yeah, won a WIAA state wrestling title later in his senior year.
But for East assistant soccer coach Fadeski now, the pressure of all that was nothing compared to the death by a 1,000 cuts that was the intense overtime shootout WIAA sectional final victory the Spartans pulled out against Whitefish Bay on Oct. 20.
"It's so much easier when you're out there playing," said Fadeski, who during the game could often be seen either shouting encouragement or crouching with his head in his hands. "You have some control of what's going on. But heck, as a coach, you know there's little that you can actually do. You know it's all on their (the players') shoulders."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East snaps DSHA 28-game GMC win streak
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 11, 2016
- Bruggink, Malensek spark Brookfield Central boys in wins over West Allis Central, Hale
- Brookfield East girls basketball team rallies to beat Sussex Hamilton, 66-54
- Brookfield East Junior Spartans set football registration for 2016-17
- Brookfield's Rumpit, Attenberger win multiple swim events at Classic 8/GMC tourney
- Brookfield gymnastics team keeps on rolling
- Brookfield Academy: Feb. 11, 2016
- Brookfield Central girls roll over both West Allis teams