While a dominant student/athlete at Brookfield East, Dennis Fadeski was the state player of the year, the leader of the unbeaten WIAA state and mythical national soccer champions of 1995.
In the process, he earned a major Division I scholarship and, oh yeah, won a WIAA state wrestling title later in his senior year.
But for East assistant soccer coach Fadeski now, the pressure of all that was nothing compared to the death by a 1,000 cuts that was the intense overtime shootout WIAA sectional final victory the Spartans pulled out against Whitefish Bay on Oct. 20.
"It's so much easier when you're out there playing," said Fadeski, who during the game could often be seen either shouting encouragement or crouching with his head in his hands. "You have some control of what's going on. But heck, as a coach, you know there's little that you can actually do. You know it's all on their (the players') shoulders."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield/Catholic Memorial Stars sweep weekend games
- Brookfield Academy Basketball
- Brookfield Central girls basketball team whips Tosa East, 63-36
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Big 4th quarter sparks Brookfield Central victory
- Brookfield Central boys basketball team pulls away in fourth quarter
- Big 4th quarter sparks BC victory
- Central boys pull away in fourth quarter
- Brookfield Central wrestlers defeat Spartans