Brookfield East coach Tim Owen felt despite the Spartans record this year, he was pleased with his team's progress.
East finished 2-3 in the Greater Metro Conference and an overall 8-9 record.
"Looking back on the season I was quite pleased with our team's growth throughout the year," Owen said. "At the start of the year the question mark for us was where are the kills going to come from? We graduated over 90 percent of our kills from a year ago. Only Karlis Abuls, Adam Wessel and Josh Schmirler saw significant playing time at the varsity level from a year ago.
"I thought the team came a long ways over the course of the year."
Seniors Abuls, Jonathan McGinley, Thomas Carini, Danny Mirda and Dom D'Amato will be lost to graduation.
"We had solid leadership from our five seniors all of which will certainly be missed," Owen said. "Our seniors should be proud of their accomplishments and hopefully the younger guys are eager to take that next step in the coming years."
At the varsity level out of the 13 athletes that practiced together there were six sophomores and two freshmen.
"Being such a young team and being able to take No. 4 Brookfield Central to five games in the sectional final was a nice accomplishment," Owen said.
The Spartans captains this year were Abuls and Wessel, a sophomore. Abuls was also a first-team all conference selection and a scholar-athlete and Wessel was honorable mention.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East has plenty of talent returning on diamond
- SPORTS SHORTS MAY 21
- East boys edge Falls for Ron Burling Invite
- Sox, Bulldogs looking to bounce back in LOL
- Brookfield East boys earn five first-place finishes
- Brookfield girls track teams dominate GMC Relays
- Sport Shorts: May 14, 2015
- Brookfield Academy: May 14, 2015
- Brookfield East girls soccer team wins Navy Bracket of Gusho Tourney