Brookfield East coach Tim Owen felt despite the Spartans record this year, he was pleased with his team's progress.
East finished 2-3 in the Greater Metro Conference and an overall 8-9 record.
"Looking back on the season I was quite pleased with our team's growth throughout the year," Owen said. "At the start of the year the question mark for us was where are the kills going to come from? We graduated over 90 percent of our kills from a year ago. Only Karlis Abuls, Adam Wessel and Josh Schmirler saw significant playing time at the varsity level from a year ago.
"I thought the team came a long ways over the course of the year."
Seniors Abuls, Jonathan McGinley, Thomas Carini, Danny Mirda and Dom D'Amato will be lost to graduation.
"We had solid leadership from our five seniors all of which will certainly be missed," Owen said. "Our seniors should be proud of their accomplishments and hopefully the younger guys are eager to take that next step in the coming years."
At the varsity level out of the 13 athletes that practiced together there were six sophomores and two freshmen.
"Being such a young team and being able to take No. 4 Brookfield Central to five games in the sectional final was a nice accomplishment," Owen said.
The Spartans captains this year were Abuls and Wessel, a sophomore. Abuls was also a first-team all conference selection and a scholar-athlete and Wessel was honorable mention.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Around Town: Oct. 2
- Sports Notes OCT. 2: Brookfield man wins Spartan Race World Championship in his age class
- Brookfield Central swim team wins GMC Relays, East second
- Brookfield East Spartans nip West Allis Hale, 17-13, on gridiron
- Labellarte, Meves spark BC's 35-12 win over Bulldogs
- BROOKFIELD ACADEMY: OCT. 2
- East emerges from late-game flurry against Hale
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Brookfield East netters beat Red, Raiders, Lancers, fifth at Nicolet Invite