Brookfield East coach Tim Owen felt despite the Spartans record this year, he was pleased with his team's progress.
East finished 2-3 in the Greater Metro Conference and an overall 8-9 record.
"Looking back on the season I was quite pleased with our team's growth throughout the year," Owen said. "At the start of the year the question mark for us was where are the kills going to come from? We graduated over 90 percent of our kills from a year ago. Only Karlis Abuls, Adam Wessel and Josh Schmirler saw significant playing time at the varsity level from a year ago.
"I thought the team came a long ways over the course of the year."
Seniors Abuls, Jonathan McGinley, Thomas Carini, Danny Mirda and Dom D'Amato will be lost to graduation.
"We had solid leadership from our five seniors all of which will certainly be missed," Owen said. "Our seniors should be proud of their accomplishments and hopefully the younger guys are eager to take that next step in the coming years."
At the varsity level out of the 13 athletes that practiced together there were six sophomores and two freshmen.
"Being such a young team and being able to take No. 4 Brookfield Central to five games in the sectional final was a nice accomplishment," Owen said.
The Spartans captains this year were Abuls and Wessel, a sophomore. Abuls was also a first-team all conference selection and a scholar-athlete and Wessel was honorable mention.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys Track and Field: Brookfield East boys win North Star Classic Track and Field Invite
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- College Volleyball: Brookfield's Leitermann on UW-Oshkosh's National Title Team
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East tennis team beats Eau Claire, Arrowhead, Neenah
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central's tennis team beats Indian Trail, West Allis Central, then wins own tournament
- GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD: Brookfield Central's girls track and field team wins Union Grove, Wisconsin Lutheran Invites
- Brookfield Academy: April 28
- Boys basketball: Matt Malett resigns as Brookfield East boys basketball coach