Brookfield Central has moved up to second place in the state coaches poll, the highest ranking the Lancers has ever been voted on.
The Lancers celebrated by winning the Whitefish Bay Invitational on Saturday.
They went 5-1 in matches and 11-5 in sets for the day.
The Lancers struggled in Pool Play, taking second after losing to Catholic Memorial, but then beating Nicolet and Franklin.
"In the morning we struggled to get our offense running," coach Ken Nash said. "We continued to struggle in our matches against Nicolet and Franklin. While we won both of the matches, we made them closer than we needed to."
In the quarterfinals the Lancers beat Waukesha West (25-18, 26-24) and then in the semifinals they beat Marquette (30-28, 25-22).
The Lancers trailed, 9-2, in the second game, but came back to win.
"Being able to come back and win is a sign that our team doesn't quit," Nash said.
In the finals against Catholic Memorial, the Lancers split the first two sets (25-20, 19-25) before winning the final (25-21).
"The third and deciding match was crazy," Nash said. "Down 11-14 we fought back to bring it to 14-14. Both teams had chances for game point; the wild set ended with us winning 23-21."
Stats for the day - assists: Andrew Dusing (152); kills: Tanner Swan (44), Billy Brauer (36), Luke Sommerfeld (30), Jim Keuper (30) and Nate Leitermann (25); aces: Swan (nine), Sommerfeld (four); digs: Jeff Thurston (56); and blocks: Leitermann (10.5), Keuper (eight), Brauer (five) and Sommerfeld (five).
The Lancers had lost a Greater Metro Conference duel meet to Wauwatosa East on Oct. 2 at home to start the week.
They won the first game (25-17) and then lost the last three (22-25, 23-25, 19-25).
Dusing had 32 assists, Thurston 11 digs, and Keuper 3.5 blocks while kill leaders were Sommerfeld (12), Brauer (six), Keuper (five) and Leitermann (five).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East girls track second in GMC Triple Crown race
- Brookfield Central boys track earns three wins
- Brookfield Academy Sports Shorts: May 23
- Menomonee Falls softball team defends Greater Metro Conference title
- Brookfield East girls soccer beats Franklin, Menomonee Falls
- Spartans' Werking sisters help each other compete
- Brookfield East Sport Shorts: May 14
- Brookfield East boys wins Burling Invite by 78 points
- Brookfield Central netters have unbeaten week