Behind a hat-trick performance by senior Jamie Ertl, the Brookfield Glacier girls hockey team improved its record to 13-0 with a 5-0 win over Fond du Lac on Friday night at the Ponds of Brookfield
While many of the Glacier players were thinking about team injuries, travel and illnesses, Ertl had one thing on her mind - goals - notching the first three tallies of the game.
The Menomonee Falls senior found the back of the net once during the first period by picking up the puck deep in the Glacier defensive zone and skating end-to-end. She would strike two more times in the second period to set the tone for the night.
Senior Morgan Hollowell picked up right where Ertl left off, scoring 90 seconds later. Junior Arianna Smith, playing with a meniscus strain, would close out the night's scoring halfway through the second period when she found a rebound in the low slot off a Hollowell shot and jammed it home.
Brookfield, which outshot Fondy, 30-18, has improved its state ranking to third.
Junior Jenna Bales recorded her sixth shutout of the season and the Glacier team defense continue to put up dominate performances. Over their last six games the Glacier have allowed only four goals against and over the entire season they are averaging 1.25 goals against per game.
"We have focused on team defense since day one," Glacier coach Brian Smith said. "We talk about it every day. We work on it in practice every week. We review it on film and the girls have learned to take pride in their defensive effort.
"Our blue line is led by super sophomores Kelli Sorge and Irene Hougard. They are talented, fast, smart and physical young players and their effort is contagious.
"In addition to Sorge and Hougard, junior Emma Ray from Milwaukee Rufus King has been playing exceptionally well. The style we're teaching is really starting to click with Emma and we see improvements from her every game."
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central soccer team blanks Brookfield East, 6-0
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield East's Kim Leupold resigns as girls cross-country coach
- Brookfield Academy: May 1, 2016
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs beat Hartland in Land O'Lakes opener
- Boys tennis: Brookfield Central boys tennis team ranked sixth in state
- Boys Track and Field: Brookfield East boys win North Star Classic Track and Field Invite