The second-ranked Brookfield Glacier girls hockey team defeated Waupaca, 4-0, Feb. 14 at the Ponds of Brookfield and took the first step toward making a return trip to Madison.
Glacier improved to 21-2-2 with the win.
Neither team had a fast start, as it looked like playoff nerves were getting the best of both squads. That changed with 4 minutes 32 seconds remaining in the first period, when sophomore Irene Hougard found the net with assists from junior Alexis Aghjian and junior Trinity Robinson.
In the second period, Brookfield struck again, this time just 1 minute into the period with a gritty goal by senior Morgan Hollowell and an assist going to junior Arianna Smith. They continued the offensive pressure and finally cracked the Waupaca defense again when senior Jamie Ertl skated in off the half wall to draw the defender out.
As the defender closed in, Ertl made a backdoor pass to junior Jeralyse Tylke, who one-timed it into the net to put Glacier up 3-0.
Aghjian found her way to the score sheet again halfway through the third period as she received a pass from Smith and carried the puck deep into the Waupaca zone, blasting a shot between the arm and body of the Waupaca goaltender for the final tally of the night.
Junior goaltender Jenna Bales turned away all 16 shots she faced and recorded her seventh shutout of the season.
The top-seeded Glacier hosted the sectional semi-final game against fifth-seeded Arrowhead at the Ponds of Brookfield for the right to advance to the sectional final game Saturday.
If Glacier wins, they will face the winner of the second-seeded University School of Milwaukee/sixth-seeded Fond du Lac game at the Beaver Dam Family Center.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Track and field: Former Badgers standout Calhoun to lead Central girls track
- Sports recaps from Brookfield Central and East: Jan. 22
- Elmbrook Swim Club Scorecard Jan. 22
- Brookfield East boys basketball team win five in a row
- New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team tips Pirates, stays in race
- First-place Marquette tops Brookfield Central boys basketball team 54-41
- Miller's big game sparks Brookfield East win
- Boys hockey: Brookfield/Catholic Memorial Stars win third straight contest
- Brookfield Academy: Jan. 22, 2015