Senior Mike Novak's scoring streak continued with a 22-point performance against Wilmot, helping his Brookfield East boys basketball team to an impressive nonconference win Saturday, 61-51. An 18-8 edge in the second quarter was the difference for the visiting Spartans.
The win was notable considering Wilmot came into the battle with a 12-1 overall record and entered the week ranked eighth in Division 2 by the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association.
The 6-5 Novak has averaged 18.8 points per game in five contests since recovering from a broken arm. East now stands at 5-9 overall.
Jonathan McGinley added 14 points and Ryan McBride chipped in with 10 as East closed the week with two wins in three tries.
East 67, Greendale 44
Brookfield East snapped a seven-game losing streak Jan. 8, crushing Greendale of the Woodland West Division on the road.
The Spartans' 23-point winning margin surpassed a season-high 14 mark over Milwaukee Lutheran on Dec. 4 at home.
The Spartans jumped out to a 38-18 lead at halftime, thanks to an 18-10 second quarter. They then put the game away with a 19-12 third period and rolled into the fourth quarter with a 57-30 advantage.
McGinley scored six of his 12 points in the first quarter to spark a 14-8 lead. Josh Byrd and Jake Wiesmueller each had four in the second quarter and Novak had nine of his game-high 15 in the third quarter. McBride had seven of his nine points in the fourth quarter, as everyone had a part in the win.
Bryd finished with 12 points and Wiesmueller had nine. Josh Michaels and Jordon Perez each had 11 for the Panthers (5-8).
West Allis Central 54, East 49
Jumping back into Greater Metro Conference play, the Spartans fell to the Bulldogs despite 20 points from Novak on Friday.
West Allis Central had a 25-15 lead at the break. Mike Eberle added 11 points, but it couldn't save the Spartans from falling to 0-6 in league competition.
- JR Radcliffe
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central soccer team blanks Brookfield East, 6-0
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield East's Kim Leupold resigns as girls cross-country coach
- Brookfield Academy: May 1, 2016
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs beat Hartland in Land O'Lakes opener
- Boys tennis: Brookfield Central boys tennis team ranked sixth in state
- Boys Track and Field: Brookfield East boys win North Star Classic Track and Field Invite