First-year Brookfield East boys basketball coach Matt Malett will return three starters from last year's team and seven letter winners as well.
Malett will show his adaptability since there are injury questions with two of his three returning starters.
Senior point guard Ryan McBride is healthy, but seniors Brian Smithand forward Mike Novak have injuries to recover from.
Smith, who suffered a significant ankle injury in East’s final football game, is out four to six weeks. The Spartans are hoping he is able to return for the Greater Metro Conference opener against Wauwatosa East on Dec. 7.
The left-handed shooting Novak, who has a broken right forearm, recently had a smaller cast put on and could be out a couple of weeks.
Adding to this group are returning letter winners and seniors Jacob Wiesmueller, Jonathan McGinley, Steven Tongas and Adam Aleiou.
Malett lists junior Josh Byrd as a player to watch.
"We have high expectations this season with a lot of seniors returning," said Malett, who replaced longtime coach Andy Farley, who accepted an associate principal position at Menomonee Falls. "We have been battling many injuries already this year, but with a full roster, we will compete at a high level in the Greater Metro Conference."
Malett has been active in the Spartan program since 2002 when he began in the Jr. Spartan program. He progressed through the ranks serving most recently as head JV coach.
The Spartans finished seventh of eight teams in the GMC last year with a 5-9 record and they were 5-18 overall.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- College Volleyball: Brookfield's Leitermann on UW-Oshkosh's National Title Team
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East tennis team beats Eau Claire, Arrowhead, Neenah
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central's tennis team beats Indian Trail, West Allis Central, then wins own tournament
- GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD: Brookfield Central's girls track and field team wins Union Grove, Wisconsin Lutheran Invites
- Brookfield Academy: April 28
- Boys basketball: Matt Malett resigns as Brookfield East boys basketball coach
- Softball: Brookfield East softball team beats Tosa West for first victory