The Brookfield Central girls volleyball team announced its award winners last week, and Taylor Held earned the top award, the team MVP honors.
Other winners were Laura Hauser (Hustle Award), Shannon Kebisek (Coaches Award) and Aleyah Anderson (Most Improved).
Central had four All-Greater Metro Conference selections - Held (first team), Jessica Meichtry (second) and Nicole Hinz and Carly Sobrilsky (honorable mention).
The Lancers had a final record of 23-21 overall and 4-3 in the GMC, fourth in the regular season, third at the conference tournament and first at regionals.
Held was named third team All-State and Meichtry earned honorable mention honors.
The season stat leaders were Abigail Strebig, 76 blocks; Sobrilsky, 628 assists; Hinz, .297 hitting percentage; Held, 459 digs; and Meichtry, 401 kills, 74 aces.
"It was a bit of an up-and-down season for us, but we knew it was going to be like that coming in," coach Scott Spiess said. "As always, we played an incredibly difficult schedule, but the team really stuck together and improved throughout the season."
Spiess said the team highlights were winning the Arrowhead Invite (on homecoming Saturday) and beating Nicolet (3-0) in the regional final.
"We were definitely playing our best volleyball at the end of the season and that's all any coach can ask for," Spiess said. "We will miss our four seniors - Anderson, Held, Meichtry and Sobrilsky."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Football: Brookfield East makes statement in downing Marquette
- Brookfield East whips Marquette, takes over second place with 34-21 win
- Brookfield Central names Arndorfer, Robison co-softball coaches
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: Oct. 8, 2015
- Brookfield East girls volleyball team second at Gigl Memorial Invite
- Big second half helps Brookfield Central football team defeat Chargers
- Brookfield Central volleyball team goes 2-0, goes on to win Neenah Invite
- Derrick Banks named Brookfield East girls soccer coach
- Brookfield Academy Sports: Oct. 8