After stepping up its competition on the road, Brookfield Academy battled New Berlin Eisenhower for a half and then clobbered Cudahy last week to improve its overall record to 8-2.
BA dropped a 77-57 decision to Eisenhower (9-3) on Dec. 27 in the New Berlin Classic in the first game back after the holidays. The Blue Knights bounced back as they clobbered Cudahy (1-11), 83-41, of the Woodland Conference-East Division Friday on the road.
The Blue Knights went into the New Year with an impressive win over the Packers, playing great defense in the first half for a 35-14 lead. Brookfield Academy held Cudahy to five and nine points in the first and second quarter, respectively.
They then turned up the offense and rolled in the second half to a 48-27 advantage.
The Blue Knights forced Cudahy into foul trouble and made them pay as they sank 25-of-30 from the free-throw line, a .833 percentage.
Sean Clarey was brilliant from the free-throw line (11-of-11) and led the team with 19 points. Nate Stolte had 16, Domonique Criss 14 and Ryan Clarey 11.
Coach Patrick Clarey also got points from Forah Bangura (nine) and Jake Kolasinski (eight).
The game against Eisenhower was close at halftime, as the Lions led, 39-32, but then an 18-8 third quarter gave Eisenhower an insurmountable 57-40 lead going into the fourth quarter.
Sandro Pesqueira had seven points in the third and Reed Timmer had five to put Brookfield Academy away.
Close at half
The flashy backcourt of Criss (28 points) and Sean Clarey (18) led the way in the loss to the Woodland-West Division co-leader Eisenhower.
Criss had six points in the first quarter and Sean Clarey had 10 in the second to keep the Blue Knights close at intermission.
Timmer, one of the state's top players, had 33 points and Pesqueira finished with 21.
Midwest Classic leader Brookfield Academy (7-0) hits the road for a game against Lake Country Lutheran (6-2, 4-2) Saturday and then plays at Messmer (7-3, 7-1) Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Academy girls build insurmountable lead in win over Brown Deer
- Brookfield's Locante, Pennow earn sectional gymnastics championships
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Central girls shock Generals to keep marching
- Lancers rally to beat Brookfield East in girls basketball regional
- Fond du Lac nips Brookfield/CMH Stars in overtime
- Central boys rally again to beat Indians
- Brookfield Central Lancers beat Bulldogs, ties for second in GMC
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers fall to rival Pewaukee in WIAA state sectional dual meet
- Brookfield East's Dempsey off to state wrestling