While Brookfield East (39 points) beat out La Crosse Central (35) for the WIAA State Track & Field Championship on Friday and Saturday at Veterans Memorial Stadium at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, perhaps the biggest surprise was the third-place finish by coach Mark Pulkownik's Brookfield Central team.
"What a great weekend the athletes had," Pulkownik said. "To finish third was a great accomplishment for the kids that went to state and to finish with a state record (3,200 relay) as well. It was truly a state meet to remember."
(See separate story on Carl Hirsch and the 3,200 relay team.)
Three competitors who competed but didn't score in their individual events were junior Elliot Yanasak and seniors Nick Petersson and Amir Alwan. Petersson and Alwan were part of the record-setting 3,200 relay, however (see separate story).
Yanasak finished 12th in the pole vault with a leap of 13 feet, 6 inches, while Petersson was 12th in the 3,200, finishing with a time of 9:38.25. Alwan finished 15th in the 800 (1:56.58).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Academy
- Brookfield Central boys basketball team beats Marquette behind Bruggink's 31 points
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 4, 2016
- Lineup change leads to victory for Brookfield Central wrestlers
- Brookfield East Junior Spartans set football registration
- 10 college-bound Brookfield student-athletes sign letters of intent
- Girls basketball: BC's lead evaporates against DSHA
- ELMBROOK SWIM CLUB JAN. 28
- Sports Shorts: Jan. 28, 2016