The way Brookfield Central junior point guard Riley LaChance has been playing, it's obvious the Lancers are going to need someone else to step up.
Enter junior forward Elijah Goodman.
Brookfield Central used a 25-2 run to run away with a 65-43 win at Menomonee Falls on Friday in the Greater Metro Conference opener.
The Lancers (66-64) had 25 field goals to 11 for the Indians (0-1), but they also had a new scoring leader.
Goodman had 13 field goals for 26 points and improved his season average to 20.2, while pulling down 15 rebounds for the second game in a row.
"We got a monster game from Goodman," Central coach Mark Adams said.
He scored 12 points in the second quarter when Central went on a 20-2 run and 10 in the 19-15 third quarter.
"He's good at creating space. He's a big, strong kid," Adams said. "You don't know whether he will use his right or left hand. That's how comfortable he is.
"Some of stuff he does, we don't have drills for. He just does in his driveway. He's the best big man I've had in 13 years."
The Lancers were actually down 11-3 to start the game and then had a 25-2 run and didn't let them get back in the game.
"Except for the first two minutes of the game, I was pleased with how we played," Adams said. "It looked like they (the Indians) were going to stall. So we came out a little further, forced things, pressured and created some action. It set the tone."
LaChance had 20 points and is now averaging 26 points.
"Riley also had four assists and he played really well and found people," Adams said.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys track and field: Brookfield East track and field synonymous with success
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball team drops four of five
- Softball: Brookfield East's Jahnke, Knight earn first-team All-GMC softball honors
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs rally for win, stay in first place
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central's Staszkiewicz named first-team all-state for girls soccer
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team searching for results
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season