Greg Basthemer went seven superb innings, allowing no runs on three hits with five strikeouts, and the Brookfield Bulldogs defeated Monches in the Land O'Lakes Western Division on Sunday, 5-0.
Ryan Hinz went 2 for 4 with two stolen bases and three RBIs. Mike Mierow and Scott Booth each had two hits, and Kris Franzen finished with two stolen bases and an RBI. Jason Rutz walked three times and stole two bags, part of a game with eight stolen bases for the Bulldogs.
The win kept Brookfield in a first-place tie with West Bend heading into the final game of the season Sunday, a 1 p.m. battle against visiting Hartland - a team with a 2-15 mark in league play.
Sussex 8, Brookfield Blue Sox 6
In what amounted to an elimination game, the Blue Sox were removed from playoff consideration, falling to 8-9 overall with one game left. Merton (10-6) heads into the final stretch of games holding the sixth and final playoff spot.
Sussex (8-8) kept its delicate hopes alive to reach the playoffs, holding a tiebreaker with Merton and needing wins in its final two games.
It was the fourth loss in a row for the Blue Sox, including a setback against Sussex one week earlier on July 22. The Sox close with Lannon on Aug. 4.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Menomonee Falls defends GMC softball title with 2-0 win over BC
- Spartans' Werking sisters help each other compete
- Brookfield East Sport Shorts: May 14
- Brookfield East boys wins Burling Invite by 78 points
- Brookfield Central netters have unbeaten week
- Brookfield Central Sport Shorts: May 14
- Massart, Thomas two of Central's best athletes ever
- Brookfield Academy wrapups: May 13
- Brookfield Central kickers have 1-1-1 week