Bill Twitchell considers his team "old school."
"No one looks at the box scores or individual records," the Brookfield swimming and diving coach said. "All that matters is the final team score. Though we only won a single event, our team depth overwhelmed the field."
He was referring to the Shorewood Invite on Saturday, when the Barracudas scored 417 points and finished just ahead of the host (394) for first place in the 10-team invite.
The lone first place came in the 200-yard freestyle relay, when Brian Borden, Michael Flatley, Conner Rumpit and Joseph Bauer won in 1:32.74 for first place. Beyond that, it was a show of depth, with a number of top-five finishes helping the Barracudas win the team competition.
Borden took second in the individual medley (2:01.43), an event where Brookfield also had the fifth-place finisher in Tyler Patt (2:12.66). Borden added second place in the backstroke (55.15) and teamed with Bauer, Rumpit and Dean Zheng to place third in the 400 medley relay (3:27.04).
The breaststroke came through as Brookfield's best event, with Patt (second place, 1:06.00), Daniel Lee (third, 1:09.28) and Jeffery Teng (fifth, 1:10.85) populating the top five. Bauer added second place with his swim of 22.57 seconds in the 50 free.
Additional third-place showings belonged to Bauer (100 free, 51.36) and Rumpit (butterfly, 57.18).
Academy takes ninth
Brookfield Academy scored 67 points to take ninth in the team scoring.
Kevin Van Cleave placed second in the 500 free with a time of 4:56.66, and he added third place in the individual medley (2:04.06).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central's Schmidt stops Falls on six-hit complete game
- Brookfield Central finishes regular season with 2-2 week
- Mayer's sac fly lifts Menomonee Falls to 1-0 win over Central
- Brookfield East ends season with 5-game losing streak
- Brookfield East's Swittel pitches well in loss to Tosa East
- Brookfield East's Megal now two of a kind
- Brookfield Bulldogs split two games over holiday weekend
- Bulldogs baseball team set fundraiser for July 14
- Bartlein, Arnold lead weekend fireworks for Blue Sox