The Brookfield East girls cross country team finished second at the PT Timing Invitational Mike Mulrooney Cross Country Course hosted by Arrowhead in Hartland.
Arrowhead won with 21 points, followed by Brookfield East (45), Pewaukee (66) and Wisconsin Lutheran (IC).
Freshman Emily Breider finished second in 15 minutes, 51 seconds, followed by junior Sarah Werking (7th, 16:40), junior Alex Sinson (9th, 17:03), junior Lisa Browne (13th, 17:16) and sophomore Madison Lecher (14th, 17:16).
Rounding out the line was juniors Elizabeth Noel (16th, 17:22) and Molly Perkins (20th, 18:45).
"Emily Breider was fearless running in the lead group with Arrowhead," said coach Kim Leupold. "She settled into a quick mile pace and was able to use her natural talent to help the team with her second-place overall finish. She's really fun to coach — eager to improve and learn her role as a top varsity runner.
"Werking had one of her strongest races to start the season. She was smart about not getting out too fast in the first mile, but then her experience helped her to have a really strong second half to the race. She's a competitor.
"Alex Sinson, Lisa Browne and Madison Lecher held together as a pack finishing third, fourth and fifth for the team. Elizabeth Noel debuted as a Spartan, and she is determined to lead and help the team.
Leupold was happy to get the season started.
"It's always helpful to get that first race out of the way, to get rid of those early racing jitters and settle into the team goals for the season," she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Sports Notes: July 2, 2015
- Brookfield's Krill wins boys 16 doubles Midwest Closed Junior Championship
- Rufer, Keane key Lancers' victory over Brookfield East
- Brookfield East's Hyndiuk shines on mound
- Lightning strikes in shootout to beat Brookfield Academy girls
- Brookfield Bulldogs score 4 runs in 11th inning to nip Lannon
- Brookfield Blue Sox lose to first-place Pewaukee
- Brookfield East's Bullen earns MVP honors for track
- Brookfield Central puts six softball players on all-Greater Metro Conference team