The Brookfield Bulldogs improved their record to 9-3 with a 4-2 win over first-place West Bend on Sunday at McCoy Field.
The Bulldogs got tremendous pitching from three pitchers: Griffin Lynch, Greg Basthemer and Austin Jones.
Lynch pitched five scoreless innings, giving up just two hits. Basthemer was up next and pitched 2.1 innings (1 H, 1 R) and Jones pitched the final 1.2 innings and got the win, giving up a run on two hits.
The Bulldogs broke up a scoreless game in the fifth when Kris Franzen singled and Bill Gorman hit a ball out in front of home plate that the West Bend catcher threw to second base to try and get the force out, but Franzen beat the throw and Gorman reached first base safely.
Franzen then stole third base and scored when the throw from the catcher skipped off the third baseman's glove into left field.
West Bend put up two runs in the eighth for a 2-1 lead before the Bulldogs countered with three runs in the bottom of the inning.
Gorman doubled to lead off the inning and then Chris Teske walked. KC Pinsoneault bunted with two strikes, advancing runners to second and third, and when the throw from the third baseman sailed past the first baseman, Gorman scored. Two more runs scored on three more walks.
The two local Brookfield Land O' Lakes baseball teams placed five players on the 2014 Western Division All-Star Team.
The game will be hosted by Pewaukee, starting at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, June 30, as the West meets the Southwest.
The Brookfield Bulldogs (8-3) will send catcher Jeff Leuck (.410 batting average), outfielder Ryan Hinz (.420) and pitcher Greg Basthemer (5-1, 4.67 ERA).
The Blue Sox will send outfielder Pat Tobiasz (.429) and pitcher John Arnold (4-3, 2.50 ERA).
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys track and field: Brookfield East track and field synonymous with success
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball team drops four of five
- Softball: Brookfield East's Jahnke, Knight earn first-team All-GMC softball honors
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs rally for win, stay in first place
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central's Staszkiewicz named first-team all-state for girls soccer
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team searching for results
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season