Brookfield Central's Luke Sommerfeld threw a no-hitter against crosstown Brookfield East tonight at East and came away with a 4-0 victory.
Central (17-1) broke a scoreless tie in the fourth inning when Elijah Goodman was safe on an error, pinch-runner Matt Liewen stole second, went to third on a ground out and scored on a clutch 2-out single by Aaron Hammond.
Riley Richarz singled to left to lead-off the fifth inning and stole second, went to third on a ground out and scored on Goodman's sacrifice fly.
Leading 2-0, Central added single runs in the sixth and seventh inning to put the game away.
Hammond singled and stole second with one out in the sixth. After a flyout to center, Matt Hodges had a big 2-out single to score Hammond for a 3-0 lead.
In the seventh, Matt Ausloos singled to center and advanced to second when the ball got by the fielder. After a groundout to short, Sommerfeld singled him to third and he scored on a sacrifice fly to left by Jonathan Kearnes for a 4-0 lead.
Sommerfeld, who only allowed two walks (Jake Smith, Brad Carstens) going into the seventh, got two quick outs and then struck out Alex McGuire on a ball in the dirt, which got away from the catcher. After McGuire stole second he got Zach Breider looking to end the game.
Sommerfeld fanned 9 hitters in the victory, the first no-hitter of his career.
Dustin Brah deserved a better fate for the Spartans (6-12), as he allowed 7 hits, walked 3 and allowed only two earned runs.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Raymonds' five goals spark Brookfield East to regional soccer title
- Brookfield Academy Roundup: Oct. 23
- Brookfield Central Lancers whip Hale, make football playoffs
- Central girls dominate GMC Cross Country Meet
- Football: Injuries refuse to leave Brookfield East alone
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Girls golf: Dunn fourth, weather big winner at state golf
- Brookfield Central Lancers second at golf sectional