Brookfield East softball coach Ashley Webber finished her first season with a 4-10 record in the Greater Metro Conference and 10-16 overall.
But perhaps the best news was how well the Spartans played with freshman Abbie Gerzcek on the mound in a 4-3 loss to Brookfield Central in the regional final.
Webber will lose four talented seniors to graduation — captain Megan Foley, captain Erin Andrews, Holly Knight and Natalie Brown.
But she has 10 players coming back, so the future is bright.
Returning next season are juniors Emma Megal, Alyssa Boltik, Megan Roidt and Megan Laughlin; sophomores Sydney Jahnke, Haley Knight, Emily Magyar, Alyssa Hults and Kelly McBride; and freshmen Gerzcek and Riley Hughes.
The Spartans had several players honored for their efforts during the 2014 season.
Webber has three awards based on what her players can control: attitude, hustle and communication.
The Attitude Award went to Foley and Hughes (JV). The Hustle Award went to Megal and Mikayla Topp (JV), and the Communication Award went to Roidt and Hults (JV).
Jahnke earned the Golden Glove Award for her fielding expoits at shortstop, and Laughlin earned the Most Improved Player Award.
The talented Megal walked off with top honors, though, earning the Silver Slugger Award, as she lead the GMC with a 535 batting average, and she earned the Spartans MVP honors.
Megal earned first-team all-conference honors, being voted the top outfielder in the GMC, one of six Spartans who earned all-conference honors on some level.
Second-team honors went to Jahnke and Andrews, and honorable mention honors went to Foley (catcher), Boltik (outfield) and Holly Knight (pitcher).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Football: Brookfield East rolls over Menomonee Falls behind Sam Santiago-Lloyd's four TDs
- Brookfield East rolls over Falls, 38-0, to clinch playoff berth
- Brookfield Central football crushes Marquette, 52-20
- Central wins 4 straight GMC titles
- BROOKFIELD ACADEMY SPORTS OCT. 1
- Brookfield Sports Shorts: Oct. 1, 2015
- Brookfield East football team takes down Red Raiders
- Brookfield Central Homecoming game a happy one
- Brookfield East volleyball team goes 4-3 at West Bend Sprawl