Veteran Brookfield Central boys golf coach Brian Scrobel doesn't like to use that word, but under the circumstances he had to.
"We lose 80 percent of our lineup that took second at state last year," he said. "We have a lot of work to do to fill the shoes of last year's seniors. I do not want to use the word 'rebuilding' … but we are rebuilding. We will be much better at the end of the season."
Scrobel lost Erik Schleicher (second-team All-Greater Metro Conference, second team All-Area, third-team All-State, GCAW Academic All-State and GMC Scholar-Athlete); Matt Thomsen (second-team All-GMC, honorable mention All-Area, GCAW Academic All-State and GMC Scholar-Athlete); Noah Olander (third-team All-GMC, honorable mention All-Area, honorable mention All-State, GCAW Academic All-State, GMC Scholar-Athlete) and Eric Anderson (honorable mention All-Area, GCAW Academic All-State and GMC Scholar-Athlete).
There is good news, however, as their best player — team MVP and University of Wisconsin-Madison recruit Eddie Wajda — is returning.
Wajda was the Wisconsin GCAW Player of the Year, the Journal Sentinel Player of the Year, first-team Sll-GMC, first-team All-Area, first-team All-State and GCAW Academic All-State.
Scrobel has eight newcomers to work into his lineup: sophomores Sean Yun and Josh Trasser; junior Matt Hodges; and seniors Matt Maus, Matt Reiels, James Wartman, Jason Fuchs and Dustin Stiloski.
The first GMC mini-meet is hosted by Wauwatosa East/West on Monday, April 28, at Bluemound Country Club & Golf Course.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East boys battle Marquette down to the end in loss
- Greendale girls basketball team narrowly falls to Cudahy in regional championship
- Liebl has Brookfield Central Lancers girls basketball team playing well at the right time
- Holz finishes just short of medals for Falls wrestlers
- Sports Notes: March 5
- Germantown's Szohr learns from finishing fourth in state wrestling
- Brauer, Busch step up for Brookfield Central down the stretch
- Brewers launch new podcast
- Brookfield East's Dempey loses tough decisions at state wrestling tourney