Veteran Brookfield Central boys golf coach Brian Scrobel doesn't like to use that word, but under the circumstances he had to.
"We lose 80 percent of our lineup that took second at state last year," he said. "We have a lot of work to do to fill the shoes of last year's seniors. I do not want to use the word 'rebuilding' … but we are rebuilding. We will be much better at the end of the season."
Scrobel lost Erik Schleicher (second-team All-Greater Metro Conference, second team All-Area, third-team All-State, GCAW Academic All-State and GMC Scholar-Athlete); Matt Thomsen (second-team All-GMC, honorable mention All-Area, GCAW Academic All-State and GMC Scholar-Athlete); Noah Olander (third-team All-GMC, honorable mention All-Area, honorable mention All-State, GCAW Academic All-State, GMC Scholar-Athlete) and Eric Anderson (honorable mention All-Area, GCAW Academic All-State and GMC Scholar-Athlete).
There is good news, however, as their best player — team MVP and University of Wisconsin-Madison recruit Eddie Wajda — is returning.
Wajda was the Wisconsin GCAW Player of the Year, the Journal Sentinel Player of the Year, first-team Sll-GMC, first-team All-Area, first-team All-State and GCAW Academic All-State.
Scrobel has eight newcomers to work into his lineup: sophomores Sean Yun and Josh Trasser; junior Matt Hodges; and seniors Matt Maus, Matt Reiels, James Wartman, Jason Fuchs and Dustin Stiloski.
The first GMC mini-meet is hosted by Wauwatosa East/West on Monday, April 28, at Bluemound Country Club & Golf Course.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Bulldogs veteran Lueck comes away a big winner
- Brookfield Blue Sox leave 14 runners on base in 4-3 loss
- Brookfield Bulldogs sweep Blue Sox to make playoffs
- Bulldogs to host Lannon on Sunday, Aug. 9
- Brookfield Central Lancers place seven on All-Greater Metro squad
- From the Pressbox: Concussion issues are here to stay until football disappears
- 2016 Brookfield East Jr. Spartans Baseball set tryouts for Saturday
- Brookfield Central guard Emma Brauer headed to UW-La Crosse
- Blue Sox increase winning streak to seven in a row