Stars skaters continue to roll; beat St. Mary's Springs co-op, 6-3
Rymaszewski coninues to shine in post-season
The Brookfield Stars handed 5th-seeded St. Mary's Springs co-op a 6-3 loss Tuesday night at Blue Line in Fond du Lac, their third straight win in an exciting post-season run.
The 8th-seeded Brookfield co-op includes East, Central and Catholic Memorial, beat 9th-seeded Sussex Hamilton/Germantown co-op, 3-2, on Feb. 18 to open the playoffs. Then they pulled a major upset and knocked off top-seeded Homestead, 4-3, in overtime on Feb. 20.
After winning Tuesday night, only second-ranked University School of Milwaukee stands between the Stars and the state tournament. USM and the Stars meet at 4 p.m. at Wilson Arena on Saturday.
The state tournament is at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Alliant Energy Center, Madison from March 6-8.
The Stars run has been a team effort, but John Rymaszewski continues to shine, scoring 8 goals in the tournament so far. He had two goals and two assists in the first game, a hat-trick (3 goals) against Homestead and another hat trick and three assists in last night's win.
The Stars scored two goals in the first period and added a third goal in the second period to take a 3-1 lead into the final period. They then held off St. Mary's Springs, scoring 3 goals to their 2 for the victory.
Beisdes Rymaszewski, Riley Keays had a goal and an assist and Vince Dombrowski added two assists.
After receiving a first-round bye, USM beat 7th-seeded Waupun, 7-1, and then 2nd-seeded Cedarburg, 2-1, last night, playing both games at Uihlein Ice Center.
The Wildcats improved to 18-4-3 and they will be seeking their first trip to Madison since 2010.
The Stars made a brilliant run in 2012, going 1-1 in the state tourney. They beat Eau Claire Memorial, 3-2, in overtime before losing a 6-3 decision to Wausau West on the second day.
They also made it in 1997, going one and done.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central turns back Homestead for state title, 9-2
- Lancers romp to state title, 9-2, over Homestead
- Lancers nip Plymouth, 2-1, move on to state finals
- Brookfield Central Lancers make first trip to state baseball since 2001
- Catholic Memorial ends Spartans season with 4-2 regional victory
- Lancers win sectional title, first trip to state since 2001
- Baseball: Ausloos dazzles as Brookfield Central edges KM
- Baseball: Spartans give CMH a push, but Crusaders prevail
- Indians hold off Central, 7-5